GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to run up to Shadyside, Ohio on Sunday. The drive up was no problem. When I left yesterday afternoon I calculated that I would be home in the early evening. Unfortunately there was some big accident on I-79 in West Virginia that kept it closed for most of the day. So I took a few back roads and ended up in Elkins, WV. I then took 33 across the mountains. The only thing that could have made it worse was fresh snow on the road. There was plenty of snow on the hills to cause my car lights to bounce all over the place. The road from Elkins to Harrisonburg, VA has got to be 100+ miles of the most windy road I have ever been on. Especially the last 20 miles in the mountain. Everything was pitch dark and I would come upon these double switch backs that would just never end. At the end of the switchbacks the road suddenly became very straight all of a sudden. I kept waiting for a sudden sharp turn to pop up. During the 100 mile ride I only saw two other cars going my direction. Both were large trucks. I probably saw 50 vehicles going in the opposite direction during the ride over the mountains. I finally made it to my daughter's house in Richmond, VA about 12:30 AM. Its probably a beautiful ride during daylight but I never saw anything but the road and white stuff on all of the hills.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
That type of road at night , really bugs me. I try to keep my eyes closed when possible.

:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nasty Roads

Yeah Hal, ain't these wonderful roads in this part of Virginia? There are countless number of roads around here like you discribe coming into VA. You would mosy surely love them in better conditions. Ride On! Bob.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Too Bad`

Hal,

At least you had a safe trip, but yep, those roads can be pretty rough in the winter, especially at night. But, boy, there are great for MC riding in the summer. Actually, all of WV has some of the best riding roads around. I grew up in WV and would sure like to get back sometime to do more riding back there.

Hope your Christmas was great and look forward to seeing you at a rally or two in 2004!

:bow:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well, finally a road you got onto that was worse than the one I put you on coming out of Asheville last year! Glad you made it thru safely.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

Sounds like you found us a nice motorsickle road. You should have dropped over to our house, being that close.

Now you know what we put up with almost everyday in the winter. We like it. :yes:

Bulldog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts