GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang, thought I'd let you guys & girl know about something I found when I took my lower front cowl off to replace a bulb on my fog lights. There is a hose attached to a black "coffee can" on the very low, front of the bike. Mine was off. For one thing, it was cut diagonally, and could barely get on the protrusion, it was supposed to go on. I cut it straight across and plugged it back in. After ~150 miles I couldn't tell any difference.
:? For you out there that are technically minded, what is that "coffee can" for??
Just thought everyone should know.

See Ya out there

Bill[/u]

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
bcutter said:
Hey Gang, thought I'd let you guys & girl know about something I found when I took my lower front cowl off to replace a bulb on my fog lights. There is a hose attached to a black "coffee can" on the very low, front of the bike. Mine was off. For one thing, it was cut diagonally, and could barely get on the protrusion, it was supposed to go on. I cut it straight across and plugged it back in. After ~150 miles I couldn't tell any difference.
:? For you out there that are technically minded, what is that "coffee can" for??
Just thought everyone should know.

See Ya out there

Bill[/u]
Basically, you need to put it back like it was. The diagonally cut hose (which comes from the top of the evaporative cannister) does not go on the connector where you placed it (at the bottom of the cannister). The hose is supposed to just hang down below the bike like it was when you first saw it. Nothing goes on the bottom connection.

What you did was to disable the function of the evaporative cannister. I don't know if others have made this same mistake but I now wonder if this is the cause of some of the rotten egg smell that some complain of.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What you did was to disable the function of the evaporative cannister. I don't know if others have made this same mistake but I now wonder if this is the cause of some of the rotten egg smell that some complain of.

I don't think so Bob. I've never touched mine and the smell has always been there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Jim Mathis said:

I don't think so Bob. I've never touched mine and the smell has always been there.
What Jim said :crazy:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Your replies are not clear. Perhaps those that have the rotten egg smell have not made this mistake, I don't know... I was just wondering.

However, connecting the hanging hose to the bottom fitting will keep the evaporative cannister from doing its job.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Bob (Bear said:
Your replies are not clear. Perhaps those that have the rotten egg smell have not made this mistake, I don't know... I was just wondering.
Bob,
That's what I was saying... haven't messed with the hose in question, and do, on occasion, get the egg smell. Haven't really paid much attention, but I think those that say it is caused by overfilling the gas tank might be right. Doesn't happen too often...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts