GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crusty old rider - new to Gold Wings. Only real disappointment is not finding a position to keep the heat off my feet on the foot pegs. Thought removing the lower leg wind deflectors (the ones in front of the air intake) might help - but no. Tried hugging my feet as inward as possible and as far out as the pegs would allow. Got the ISO Pegs to move my feet in the wind but that channels the hot air on the inside of my legs. Talked to several wing riders on my last trip but they found no cure either. Guess you just man-up, stop whining and ride. Pity a $20K+ bike can't figure out how to avoid this simple issue.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have an 07 and have never had this issue. If you have the lower vents open, they will vent warm air from the engine onto you legs and feet. I keep them closed except during the winter.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Go ride a new Beemer GTL you won't complain about your hot feet on the Wing anylonger. I did 40 miles on one yesterday and my feet felt like they were on fire when I got off.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
No issues here, do you wear boots or flip flops

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Never had a hot foot, never thought too much about heat at all unless it was blistering hot and had a little coming on the legs while on hiway pegs.
Wings have a very decent management of heat, so it is confusing why you think it is hot. Have there been add ons?

Sorry, price has nothing to do with it. If you want hot, go buy a $38K Screaming Eagle Road Glide. Even the faithfull grumble about them being hot.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What year is the wing, are the foot warmer flaps open ? If they are closed or don't have them then check to see if the rubbers are in place on the header cover.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
it is rare but u are not the first to complain about hot feet

i have had hot feet problems for years, but my problem was not caused by the wing it was hot weather, i pretty much quit wearing waterproof boots simply because they were to hot for me in hot weather, this past June i bought a pair of BMW air boots and wow they are almost like having air conditioned boots, i love them :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, the problem is unique to you bike. Imo, Goldwing has less engine heat on the rider than just about any touring bike out there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
2010 Wing

Hot feet for sure. Lower calf. Have to wear boots, not reg. Shoes. Some say the trim on side vent Trim on the cowl creates problem, not sure. Had "08" not a problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. My "Comfort Package" foot warmer vents are closed as are the lower vents by my shins. I've been earing high-top tennis shoes. The bike is a 2010 It sure feels great in the winter though.
Guess I can go back to wearing boots. Wore them for ever on the brand X

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
IMO, the problem is unique to you bike. Imo, Goldwing has less engine heat on the rider than just about any touring bike out there.
Not 100% unique to just his. My left foot gets a lot more heat than my right. What you state about the Goldwing having less engine heat than any others is part of the problem. I say this because if there is any heat that is not directed away from you it is even more noticeable since the rest of the body is not receiving any.

One thing I noticed is the foot warmers put a bump on the exhaust covers that if dented will cause the vents to get out of adjustment. My left vent will not close all the way now. Yes, I have adjusted the cable. It looks closed but when I push on it the vent will move a tad. Like it's 99% closed. The right vent when pushed does not move at all. This is allowing a bit of heat to escape right on to my foot.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No problems here with hot feet either. I know you can buy some lower baker wings to help keep the rain and the wet off our feet. They may help keep some heat away.:agree:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. My "Comfort Package" foot warmer vents are closed as are the lower vents by my shins. I've been earing high-top tennis shoes. The bike is a 2010 It sure feels great in the winter though.
Guess I can go back to wearing boots. Wore them for ever on the brand X

later..Randy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do the 1800s have the vents as I couldnt find them on my 05 ABS
I believe the feet heat vents started in '06, along with the Options for Nav, Heated Grips, and Heated Seat. I've got an '04 - my choice was with or without ABS

·
Registered
513 Posts
What year is the wing, are the foot warmer flaps open ? If they are closed or don't have them then check to see if the rubbers are in place on the header cover.
Can I see these rubbers on the header cover by removing the side covers?
The frame around my legs is pretty hot.

Bryan

·
Registered
931 Posts
I wear jeans,Bates 8" boots,and socks of course on my foot-leg area.Even in the middle of summer riding I do not feel enough heat to call it too hot. Yes I do feel the hot air from the engine,but nothing uncomfortable. :shrug:

·
Registered
494 Posts
leg heat??

Try getting a pair of riding pants,,
with the Reflective INNER-CHIN silver mat'l.
You can find them at harley and OTHER crusers shops.
They are made to protect against the HIGH heat of the pipes.
I find them to help with the LEG HOT-AIR.
When I put my feet-UP-ON the highway pegs,
that Hot RAD.-air.
And also good high-top boots will help.
We here in seattle WA,,have to go EAST of the mountains,
to get that kinda Hot-Air.

See-Ya
KennyU
SeattleWA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts