GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we have a real mess here in the Central Valley of CA. One week of temps in the 105-112 range and the massive snow pack that we got this winter is melting at a record pace and filling up the reservoirs causing the powers to be to having to release lots of that water downstream. Here in Sanger we have the Pine Flat Dam a short distance from us and it's FULL. They are releasing that water into the Kings river which is flooding out all the campgrounds. In addition to that they have shut down access to lots of the rivers due to the excessive amount of cold swift snow runoff being dumped into the rivers/streams. The moral of the story......Be careful what you wish for. :crying:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep... between the Kings and San Joaquin rivers, it's going to get crazy this weekend. Waters are coming up fast. I'm expecting more evacuations on both water areas... not to mention record setting temps in the last few days. We've got a little bit to go before we're back to our usual high 90' degree days.

I was down in LaQuinta over last weekend, and it was 117 and 118, then went to 121 degrees the day I left.. to come back to Clovis.. where it was 110. The difference wasn't much though... as down in LaQuinta/Palm-Springs humidity was about 4%.. here it's up to 24% and higher in the mornings. So 110 here is sticky and brutal... 121 there is really about the same.

So stay cool and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Come on guys... I'd really like to take a long weekend ride out there, but between the heat, flooding, landslides, and fires I'm getting concerned! :wink2:

I'm trying to escape the heat and fires out HERE.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Come on guys... I'd really like to take a long weekend ride out there, but between the heat, flooding, landslides, and fires I'm getting concerned! :wink2:

I'm trying to escape the heat and fires out HERE.
Hey, it's beautiful on the central coast right now!!! (I just wish I was there!) If you could bare the heat getting across the desert, jump on PCH down near San Diego and go north up the coast. The big heat is mostly inland and inland valley and deserts lately... with a cool down coming next week apparently.

We've got 103' degrees, and 31% humidity at 2PM here in the valley, according to my little home weather reader. Clouds floating around and shifting are creating the humidity condition. It does help the fire fighting efforts, as I'm sure there's a few somewhere here. Air tankers were flying yesterday afternoon.

I think I could take 113' degrees and 4% humidity easier then what we have today. It's sauna conditions out there right now!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It sure is hot in Ca. I met some folks yesterday in Bakersfield and rode 450+ miles into the Sierra's before staying the night in Sonora. Rode over Carson Pass and worked back to Bishop. Upper elevations were nice, but hot everywhere else including Sonora and Bishop which were/are both over 100 degrees. There was still a good amount of snow in the mountains and the lakes, rivers, and streams were full and moving!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The California State Trap Shoot held in Kingsburg has been going on this past week. This morning at 1:30 "Saturday" they started pulling the trap machines out of A, B, C bank as the Kings River has gone up enough to flood them out. The State Shoot had just this weekend to finish up, but will have to wait until mid July to finish now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts