GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with Hot grips versus honda grips. I haven't seen any info posted, and wondering if the price of the Hot grips at slightly less than $100 with reostat is a quality product versus the big bucks for the honda hot grips. Is there anything to be concern about.
What kind of experience do riders have using heated grips. All comments and experience shared greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally don't have any experience with the "Hot Grips" but here is my 2 cents. On my 950 KTM I have a set of $40 heated grips from happy-trail. These only have an off, high, and low setting but work just fine. I do like the variable heat on the Honda grips but the cheaper grips work just dandy. These are placed under your choice of grips so you do not have to buy the expensive heated grips.

Marc

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had both Honda OEM and the Hot Grips.

I currently run with Hot Grips-have a 3 position switch- High- off- Low. I only use the low position as the High is too hot and the Low is just right. Pretty much the same outstanding heat generation as the Honda( which also was very hot).

Advantage to Hot Grips-
1. cost.
2. the grips are nicer than the Honda.

I had put Griptek foam over both as I like really big grips for my fat animal-like hands. The heat still gets thru the foam without problem.

The reason I went to Hot Grips was I blew the temp controller on the Honda and it was cheaper to buy the entire HotGrip package rather than get a replacement for the Honda.

I was going to add the temp controller to the Hot Grips but it is not needed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had the Hot Grips on my late '03A and was very happy with them. High, low , off control..never needed the high position. Have the Honda heated grips on my '06A. They are standard at this trim level, otherwise I probably would have the Hot Grips again, if only because of price. I can speak to the power of the Honda heated grips..at their highest setting they WILL raise blisters through padded gloves. Discovered this on the 500 mile ride home from the dealer.

The biggest advantage to the Hot Grips is the ability to use any grips you wish, rather than the standard Honda grips. I had Kury 6180 Iso Grips on the '03a.

Ride long and safe..year round, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've been using Hot Grips since '98 on 2 different Wings. I put about 80,000 miles on each set with no problems. They worked well all the way down to 25 degrees with Mirror Wings. The difference is price and a little harder to install. They are not plug and play. I use the controller and really like it. Make sure you wire it all the way back to the battery. I first had them hooked up to the pug under the right fairing pocket and the contoller made a constant buzz in the intercom. I also wired in a toggle switch for a positive OFF.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
...I first had them hooked up to the pug under the right fairing pocket and...
Did the dog bark or like it?

I'm sorry, this was too good to pass up... I'm still laughing at the mental picture. No offense. :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Always happy to entertain you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hot Grips Question continued

Sounds like the low position works just find, but it appears that hot grips offers a reostat for a variable heat position for an extra option. Do I have that right and if I do, what's your opinion on spending the extra $$ to have it.

Can anyone comment on how hard to install the grips and wiring. I am not all that good a doing this kind of stuff.

Do the hot grips come with actual new grips for the wing, or does on use the existing honda grips.

Thank you all for your advice.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am using the Bike Bike Grips. 60 bucks (from Hal) will get you the grips and a variable controller. Like the Hot Grips they are not plug and play but not that difficult to install. I ran a dedicated wire back to a fuse block I installed for extra accessories and installed the controller on the panel below the right fairing pocket. They work fine and have been using then this week in our 30-40 degree weather.

Pete

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the Hot Grips with the rheostat on my '05. I like the ability to vary the temp to what ever I like. The bad part is that it takes a while to heat and cool the grip so by the time I say "Whoa, too hot" and have turned down the temp I'm there (in cold winter weather no more than an hour or two ride at most). So I think you could get by with the temp control. And you can change the settings of the two positions on the switch by changing resistors used.

JMHO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hot Grips

Any opinions on hot grips versus using gerbing heated gloves. Any pros and cons appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: Hot Grips

chasmore52 said:
Any opinions on hot grips versus using gerbing heated gloves. Any pros and cons appreciated.
Yep; heated grips have;

1.--no wires
2.--you can decide to use them after you are in motion
3.--you can wear a variety of gloves and still warm your hands
4.--cost less
5.--you won't forget them @ home

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Hot Grips

wrenched said:
chasmore52 said:
Yep; heated grips have;

1.--no wires
2.--you can decide to use them after you are in motion
3.--you can wear a variety of gloves and still warm your hands
4.--cost less
5.--you won't forget them @ home
All valid points! However, when you spend a long time in the saddle in really cold weather, there's nothing like heated clothing, including gloves. i don't use my heated clothing much down here, but I'm REALLY glad I have it when I need it (like when the road takes me North in the winter!)

Heated grips will see a LOT more use than the heated gloves though, if for no other reason than that they are so convenient.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have 88,000 miles on my HotGrips with rheostat. They're great as long as you don't mind the appearance of the grips. Which is not to imply that they are ugly, just that they only come in one grip style.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts