GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife - I guess after listening to me whine too much about cold hands - ordered a set of Hot Grips as a birthday suprise. That's a good wife! I had been comparing the Hot Grips and Honda Heated Grips and was still undecided on which route I wanted to go. There's still time to trade the Hot Grips in on the Honda ones if I chose to. I would value any opions from those of you with experience between the two grips. I'm not too worried about the simplicity of install or the "built in look", I can make the install work and look fine. My main concerns are about grip feel and longevity of the heating elements. Are the Hot Grips comfortable? (comparable to the factory grips in hardness?) Any quality control problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used wrap-on hotgrips for several years on my previous Wings. They work O.K. and held up well. They do not give as much heat as the Honda grips though. And the heat is not adjustable, as the Honda grips are. (You can periodically turn the heat off and on with hotgrips. You can set the Honda grips to the heat you want.)

I found the wrap-on grips a little bulky and would take them off in the summer. That's just a personal opinion though. The Honda grips feel just like the standard ones.

I would personally advise the Honda factory grips if their higher price isn't a problem. They do work better and are always there to use.

Hope this helps,
Milt

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had Hot Grips on another bike, not the GL1800, They worked fine, the type I had came with a three position switch, hi, low and off. About six months after I got them, the throttle side broke where the cable attached to the grip. Even though the part that broke was an HD part, they replaced the grips. So they stand behind their products. On the 1800 I bought the Honda heated grips. They work great too. If I just couldn't afford to spend the difference in price, the Hot grips are a good alternative. The Honda grips have variable settings and that is a nice feature, and they are longer. It really just depends on what you want to spend. The Hot Grips are functional and a real improvement over unheated grips, the Honda grips have variable heat settings, and to my eye, look better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Hot Grips on my 03 and I love them. I work night shift, so I ride home late at night in 20 degree temps. They work fine with just the high and low settings. Install was simple and grip look nice and feel good.One tip is to use JB Weld to install the grip ,because the epoxy must witstand 600 degree temps. The heated grips are worth every penny if you ride in cold temps. :lol:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have Hot Grips on this bike and had them on my 1500 for a couple of years. I like the way they feel. Never had a problem with them. I have the controller and think it's worth the extra $$ because I almost never need to turn them all the way up.

Do not wire them through the Honda plug under the right fairing pocket. If you do you will get noise in the intercom from the resiter. Wire directly to the battery and there will be no noise.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have to agree with Buffalochuck. I installed the D/S heaters under my Iso grips about two yrs. ago, & they work great. More heat than I need when switched on high.

I installed the switch here, & bought a water proof cover for it at a boat supply shop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go Honda

I installed the Honda grips. Best thing I did since I purchased heated seats! It’s like riding for 30 years without a windshield and than getting one. One wonders why so long eating bugs. Must be an age thing.

S

·
0 Posts
I have the wrap around grips and they are nice and really get hot. I would think Honda does not make grips but gets them from some other vender anyway - like hot grip.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just bought a pair of Hot Grips. The Gold Wing service manual tells how to install new grips but doesn't say how to remove the old ones. What's the best way to remove the OE grips so that I can install the Hot Grips? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Removing the stock grips

Remove the bar end weights. Take a thin blade straight screwdriver and wedge it between ends of the grip and the handle bar and pry up a little while spraying some WD40 between the grip and the bars. Work the screwdriver around the grip a little while spraying the WD40 and the glue will break loose and the grip will slid off good as new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts