GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden my wing three times since I switched the fan direction, and when I back it into the garage, I smell a 'hot rubber' odor. The first thing I checked was the shaft boot, but it looks fine and is still on (I had already poked a hole in it). Could I have gotten a rubber radiator hose too close to the engine, and it's getting hot?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
I've ridden my wing three times since I switched the fan direction, and when I back it into the garage, I smell a 'hot rubber' odor. ...
Different fans installed? Voltage polarity reversed? Fan blades reversed? ... not sure just what you did.

I suppose you checked that the fans can turn freely and aren't being jammed.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I flipped the fan blades over, modified the motors so the blades wouldn't hit the radiators, and changed the polarity to make them blow out the sides instead of towards the front. I'm sure that if the boot was causing the smell, it wouldn't be still mounted. I'll take another look tomorrow (it's supposed to snow, so I can't take it for a ride LOL).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lucky,
I'm curious as to why you reversed your fans, and possibly voided your warranty, given the "product improvement" recall.

My 2003 was a boiler, having pegged the temp needle twice, but I just pulled over and let it cool down after being held to a 15 mph pace behind accidents and road construction for an endless period. I didn't like it and I sure took a lot of gas from the other brand riders that I was riding with.

Now, with the ECM and head replacement I am probably done with the issue. I do think that the fan reversal will solve the problem, but so does the Honda fix.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the reason that I did it was for the same reason that the Honda's, Nissan's and Toyota's run around with those wings on the back bug me....it just isn't right. The fans on my cars/truck pull air from the front through the radiator. Besides, now it'll go faster, sucking all that air in the front and out the sides. :lol: Oh yeah, and I was bored.

And, I've already had the ecm replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts