GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Goldwing for the wife and I. Its an 05 abs model, our question is, do the seats on goldwings stay hot as you ride? We are in N. texas and it is very hot right now, but the rides we've been on have produced wet rearends and soaked clothing. Big motors produce big heat, but we haven't experienced this with other bikes. Didnt know if this comes with the territory, just wondering. Thanks

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
The seat covering is plastic. Plastic doesn't breathe. Your backside will sweat and stay wet. Doesn't have anything to do with the heat from the bike... :roll:

If it's a problem find yourself a cover for the seat that will allow air to flow. I use a velour seat just for that reason.

Welcome to the board......

·
Registered
721 Posts
get an Alaska Butt Pad, for you and your wife, its natural sheep skin it will help. go to Alaskaleather.com good people to do business with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratualtions to you both on your 05 goldwing !!! I'm not sure on the seat thing....My trike is 05 and the 1800's do produce the heat....As for me I haven't had any problems with wet seat.....Welcome to the board..Lots of great advice and help!! Have fun riding and stay--safe..

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the bigger problem is the triple digits we've experienced this year. Anytime it gets much over 100 I usually end up pretty wet. A sheepskin will help, but don't expect miracles.
Relief seems to finally be here, though. A high of 68 here today - thought I was going to have to scrape ice off the windshield! ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
sheepskin...just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Make sure the seat heat is off!! :joke:
I agree. Unplug the seat heater connections under the seat to make sure that is is not on all of the time. I live in Florida and I don't think that the seat is hot.... BUT I have had a malfunction where the seat heater would not shut off. It got so hot that I had to unplug the fuse. It turned out that I needed a new controller.

Jeff..

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Just bought my first Goldwing for the wife and I. Its an 05 abs model, our question is, do the seats on goldwings stay hot as you ride? We are in N. texas and it is very hot right now, but the rides we've been on have produced wet rearends and soaked clothing. Big motors produce big heat, but we haven't experienced this with other bikes. Didnt know if this comes with the territory, just wondering. Thanks
How do I say this?

The heat isn't from the motor...?

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree bead pads work great. Can feel the breeze and if it rains it allows water to drain and not pool between the legs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I use the beaded seat covers. lets air move under there. I also put one on the back rest for the wife so air moves up the back as well. Works like a charm in this Texas heat. :nojoke:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
When I lived in Texas, the only way I could ride my GL1500 in the Summer without my butt and back sweating was with beads on both the seat and rider backrest. That little bit of air circulation made all the difference! :thumbup:

·
Registered
521 Posts
05 seat

An 05 model does not have a factory heated seat - do you have an aftermarket seat that is heated?
Does this seat make my butt look hot?:?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Beads, sheepskin, mesh gear - they all help. But mainly - don't wear cotton underwear! Walmart, Target, and many others sell microfiber underwear that will wick the moisture away and keep you comfortable. You can spend more money on LD or UnderArmor if you prefer. It works as well as the inexpensive brands of Starter and Champion.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Beads, sheepskin, mesh gear - they all help. But mainly - don't wear cotton underwear! Walmart, Target, and many others sell microfiber underwear that will wick the moisture away and keep you comfortable. You can spend more money on LD or UnderArmor if you prefer. It works as well as the inexpensive brands of Starter and Champion.
Can you say "Commando"?

I knew you could!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts