GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip the first 2 weeks of June. Basic route will be north from Oklahoma through Kansas, Nebraska and into South Dakota to Mt. Rushmore. Then west to Yellowstone, south through Idaho and Utah then east across southern Colorado and back to Tulsa.

I'm starting to wonder if the hotels along the way will be open then, or is everything going to be shut down?

Thoughts ?

·
Love The DCT
11,454 Posts
Planning a trip the first 2 weeks of June. Basic route will be north from Oklahoma through Kansas, Nebraska and into South Dakota to Mt. Rushmore. Then west to Yellowstone, south through Idaho and Utah then east across southern Colorado and back to Tulsa.

I'm starting to wonder if the hotels along the way will be open then, or is everything going to be shut down?

Thoughts ?
Being realistic, only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Lets see. There are recorded 22,000 new cases and 1100 deaths today, worth repeating ...TODAY..

Seems to be accelerating.

I would wait out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would think by the time you're ready to leave in June you will have a better handle of the situation and will be able to make the determination on if you think the motels will still be open for the length of trip you have planned. Right now I haven't heard of any large chain motels/hotels closing but everything is changing daily. Marriott, and maybe others, announced they are laying off staff so that makes me wonder what's next.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Thoughts ?
I would go ahead and make reservations. But DON'T pay anything upfront for the reservations. Don't give any credit cards numbers either when you make the reservations.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rarely make reservations for hotels. unless I'm traveling for work.
I guess I'll do as everyone else and just wait and see.
There are plenty of good day rides in Oklahoma and Arkansas to enjoy. I can always run them backwards if I start running out of options!

·
Registered
189 Posts
When in the Black Hills take a day ride over to Wyoming to Devils Tower. Nice ride and something to see.
When headed west in Montana check out Custer's Battlefield. Been there many times and quite the thing to see and think about. Lots to see in the Black Hills too. Don't rush! Traffic can be insane on the 2 lane roads in the Black Hills and lots of curves.
We used to spend our summers in the Black Hills when we lived in NoDak.
When we travel we like to check out the old Territorial Prisons throughout the US.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Something to consider.

I have not been using my Mini Mate camper much lately. But now I can hook it up and ride, stay overnight and still practice social distancing. If you've ever considered a camper, now might be the time to spool up and try it. If you don't like it, someone will buy it. I really like mine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something to consider.

I have not been using my Mini Mate camper much lately. But now I can hook it up and ride, stay overnight and still practice social distancing. If you've ever considered a camper, now might be the time to spool up and try it. If you don't like it, someone will buy it. I really like mine.
We sold our house late last August. The first house we thought we were going to buy failed our inspection and we ended up living 45 days in our travel trailer.
I don't see camping in my near future, but thanks for the suggestions. ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
While checking in to a chain motel last night the guy at the desk said they had laid off a lot of the staff and closed two floors. He kind of half jokingly and have seriously said he would probably find out if he had a job the next day when his shift ended in a little while.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My daughter is a regional manager for a large hotel company. They have already lost millions and we just started. I don’t think we can predict what will happen but they are cutting costs every corner they can. It’s not healthy on a hotel to be shut up for a long period so not sure what they are going to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, looks like I don't have to worry about this anymore.
When I'm ready to ride I'll just go next door to Arkansas then come home every evening.

Rode from Tulsa to Midland and back last week for work. Really missed getting to sit down in a restaurant for a meal. Pizza delivered to the room or Sonic on the road were our choices.
Hotels were open though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm not counting on any of my usual riding travel plans this summer. My IBA and TOH ride plans have already changed to being home every night.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, looks like I don't have to worry about this anymore.
When I'm ready to ride I'll just go next door to Arkansas then come home every evening.

Rode from Tulsa to Midland and back last week for work. Really missed getting to sit down in a restaurant for a meal. Pizza delivered to the room or Sonic on the road were our choices.
Hotels were open though.
I called a few hotels yesterday across NJ to Co. [In Ne Co] and they all told open and business as usual, One in Crested Butte said they were opening on 27th. Guess we will see what happens. Gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I've been traveling a little for work, and some of my guys have as well. Hotels all seem to be open.
We are back on track now for the trip as originally planned.
North to Rushmore then west to Yellowstone. South through Idaho and Utah then back east to Tulsa through Colorado.

Just need to do an air filter and oil change and I'm ready.

By the way, what's the best oil to use in a Goldwing???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts