GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm in a Hampton tonight (and tomorrow night). I'll be in a local hotel on Tuesday night.

Hampton's have shut down breakfast, coffee (including in rooms), vending machines, etc (but the ice machine is working. There is no housekeeping during the stay (not sure what they would do if you were staying longer than two nights). They have adjusted the price about 40% because of all this.

The local hotel for Tuesday is an historic hotel in the middle of nowhere Texas. They don't really have any services/amenities, so I don't know what they've changed. I won't know the cost until Tuesday.

I suspect most hotels/motels in states that are "open" will be similar.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm in a Hampton tonight (and tomorrow night). I'll be in a local hotel on Tuesday night.

Hampton's have shut down breakfast, coffee (including in rooms), vending machines, etc (but the ice machine is working. There is no housekeeping during the stay (not sure what they would do if you were staying longer than two nights). They have adjusted the price about 40% because of all this.

The local hotel for Tuesday is an historic hotel in the middle of nowhere Texas. They don't really have any services/amenities, so I don't know what they've changed. I won't know the cost until Tuesday.

I suspect most hotels/motels in states that are "open" will be similar.
Stayed at the holler day inn in Midland a couple weeks ago. Same thing. No breakfast no coffee in the lobby, but we did have coffee in the room.
We rode the bike down and took our time coming back. Stayed a night in Wichita Falls to dodge a thunderstorm.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,621 Posts
Slippery.

Have fun! (y)
I disagree!!! It must be Slick!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Been watching this thread. We also have a trip planned for early June, @gwhobo and I are running Northwest for several days. After calling a few motels to get collect information, it looks to me like the biggest concern is eating. I like to get something pretty substantial in the mornings before pulling out then again in the afternoon as I travel or late afternoon at the destination. The morning breakfast will be a little more difficult, because the morning breakfast will be coffee and maybe some toast or a danish, maybe a bagel at the motel? We will have to spend some extra time finding something local that will most likely be takeout? That will be problematic, especially if it is raining?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I disagree!!! It must be Slick!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Been watching this thread. We also have a trip planned for early June, @gwhobo and I are running Northwest for several days. After calling a few motels to get collect information, it looks to me like the biggest concern is eating. I like to get something pretty substantial in the mornings before pulling out then again in the afternoon as I travel or late afternoon at the destination. The morning breakfast will be a little more difficult, because the morning breakfast will be coffee and maybe some toast or a danish, maybe a bagel at the motel? We will have to spend some extra time finding something local that will most likely be takeout? That will be problematic, especially if it is raining?
That's what I think the biggest problem will be as well, although more restaurants are open now - at least here in Tulsa.

I don't mind a hotel breakfast or even a sausage biscuit from McDonald's or something, but I have to have something to start the day.
A good meal in the evening is nice.
Recent travel has shown most restaurants are delivering to hotels or you can use door dash. If all else fails I am not too good for a bologna sandwich and chips in the hotel room.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I can say that the Rodeway Inn in Phillipsburg Ks is very much open and accommodating.
We left Tulsa this morning and stopped in Cawker City Ks to see the world's largest ball of Twine. 428 miles today.
It Was exactly that...
A big ball of Twine lol.

Only incident was BIL lost his bearing cap on his trailer in Salina Ks and we had to detour to O'Reilly's for a replacement.

Tomorrow is a short day, just a little over 330 miles to a small town in South Dakota.
We'll rest up there then ride through Badlands NP and on to probably Keystone SD Sunday.
Planning a couple nights there to ride around the Black Hills and see Mt. Rushmore and maybe go see Sturgis just so we can say we did.
Then On to Yellowstone Tuesday or Wednesday. May Make it to Idaho by end of the week or first of next week. Not sure how much of Idaho Idaho we'll see. Kinda thought we'd just head south down the eastern side and head into Utah.

My goodness the Goldwing is an incredible machine. Couldn't imagine doing this on any other bike.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After a long windy ride and a ride through Badlands NP, we made Keystone SD about 3pm local time.
Ate a nice meal at the Ruby House. Interesting place.
Let the girls do some souvenir shopping then cruised around town and out by the monument.
Back At the hotel waiting for dark and we're going to go back up and see it lit up.
Resized_IMG951087.jpeg

·
Registered
434 Posts
Keep those pics coming!

If you are going to Yellowstone be sure to ride the Beartooth Hwy if you haven't previously.

Have a safe & fun trip!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
FYI - the section of 16A near Stockade Lake @ Custer State Park has several miles of fresh oil and chip (AKA LOOSE GRAVEL)
Otherwise, Needles Highway and Iron Mt. Road was fantastic. Very few RV's and other traffic when we rode it Monday.
In fact, I'm not sure if it wasn't better ride than Tail of The Dragon and surrounding roads...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts