GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a belly pan, now "bring on the heat". The heat coming radiator is atrocious. I think I will disassemble belly pan. Willing to put up maintenance bill due to rock.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Installed a belly pan, now "bring on the heat". The heat coming radiator is atrocious. I think I will disassemble belly pan. Willing to put up maintenance bill due to rock.
I have a belly pan on my '06. I just returned from a 2300 mile trip to GA, TN, NC, SC and never noticed a difference in heat.

Is the heat effecting the temp gauge?
It never made a difference on my temp gague.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Which pan did you install?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Difference strokes for different folks.....but I recently returned from an 8,200 mile run from Maine to California and back and it didn't affect the radiator heat one bit. And travelling thru high winds on this and other long distance trips I feel the belly pan added to the stability of the Wing.:popcorn:

Just my experience for what it's worth. :shrug:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paddy
Q: Is the heat effecting the temp gauge?
A: It does not seem to affect the bikes gauge no! But my gauge is in the overheating zone

Daylight
Q: Which pan did you install?
A: I installed the Performance stainless steel that has the vent grills

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the 2 piece louvered stainless belly pan from WingStuff.......first thing I put on when I bought the bike.....it did not affect the engine temerature at all......at least I could not see any difference on the gauge.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Is the heat effecting the temp gauge?
probably not...(06 and up)

The GL1800 Temp gauge is not really a gauge
.. don't count on it to move if the bike is merely running
hotter than "normal"..
.. it will not move until the bike is about to boil over
then it will go up suddenly.

It works more like an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

Dennis

·
Registered
583 Posts
Difference strokes for different folks.....but I recently returned from an 8,200 mile run from Maine to California and back and it didn't affect the radiator heat one bit. And travelling thru high winds on this and other long distance trips I feel the belly pan added to the stability of the Wing.:popcorn:

Just my experience for what it's worth. :shrug:
:thumbup::agree:

Have had one on my Wing for years and found no change in temp from radiator.

GM

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sounds like you have more than a skid pan problem....Skid pan will not affect the motor temp if themostats and fan are working..

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
I've never heard of this complaint before. I have original version of Tulsa belly pan and it makes absolutely no percieved difference on temperature of rider or passenger. Nor does it seem to add to heat load of cooling system to any degree. Very odd.

prs

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Let's not start a "sky is falling" thread here. Obviously belly pans have not proven to be a cause of overheating because this is the place it would have been reported. Hundreds and hundreds of Wing owners have driven hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems at all. My guess is the OP has something wrong or unusual that is being exacerbated by the belly pan. And I will even go farther out on the limb, here, folks! I really and truly think the belly pan cuts down on crosswind push, too. Seriously!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sounds like you have more than a skid pan problem....Skid pan will not affect the motor temp if themostats and fan are working..
I agree. Disassembling the belly pan because of heat coming off of the radiator is an ill-conceived fix.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I might be wrong but I think Gladeeaytur is trying to say that air flow from the radiator is burning HIM up. Apparently the engine is not getting any hotter than it normally did but the belly pan is causing the radiator air flow to route a different direction which is bringing it up by him rather than below the bike. At least that's my take on what he was saying.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
For protection for the oil filter, I saw a post by Fred for a heavy duty aluminum cover for the filter.
I ordered it and installed it last night.
It appears that it could stop any rock damage to the filter, and for $24.00, you cant beat it for protection.
Obviously it doesnt do anything for the rest of the undercarrage.

I dont remember where I ordered it, but Freds link was on one of these posts recently.
Maybe Murphs something.....
Sorry....

Mike

·
Registered
740 Posts
probably not...(06 and up)

The GL1800 Temp gauge is not really a gauge
.. don't count on it to move if the bike is merely running
hotter than "normal"..
.. it will not move until the bike is about to boil over
then it will go up suddenly.

It works more like an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

Dennis
That's an accurate asessment of the Temp Gauge, an idiot light in disguise.

·
Registered
686 Posts
For protection for the oil filter, I saw a post by Fred for a heavy duty aluminum cover for the filter.
I ordered it and installed it last night.
It appears that it could stop any rock damage to the filter, and for $24.00, you cant beat it for protection.
Obviously it doesnt do anything for the rest of the undercarrage.

I dont remember where I ordered it, but Freds link was on one of these posts recently.
Maybe Murphs something.....
Sorry....

Mike
Murphskits.com

I just got mine the other day. Will be installing it tomorrow. Since the 'new' bike didn't have a pan (which will be corrected), and I'm about to do a long dist ride out in the middle of nowhere, I felt it was time to go ahead and do the install.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I had heard that the belly pan puts more hot air out of the "comfort" flaps by your feet. Since, I installed a louvered SS bellypan and couldn't tell any difference although I was looking for it. I didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed.

Maybe you put it on backwards......just kidding.

Z

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I installed a belly pan on my bike the first day I got it, I like it and wouldn't be without it.
Can't see how it could cause any extra heat on a water cooled engine. :shrug:

If you think it's causing problems, pull it off and sell it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts