GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used motor for my 1800. It will come pretty much complete and same year. so should be a straightforward change out. Anybody done this changeout and can fill me in on what kind of time commitment you made to it? My wrenching skills are pretty well developed, (took me about an hour and a half to do my first air filter change, start to finish.)

...and a few questions.. Fuel tank have to come out? Front wheel/forks need to be removed? Did you have to work out a support for the frame? I do have a manual, just haven't had time to peruse it yet.

Anybody have the lock nut tools they want to rent out or has anyone made their own? Will be working on fabricating those tomorrow...

Thanks for any tips, tricks etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have changed out 3-1800 engines. The removal should take you 3 to 4 hours (since you have not done it before). As for replacing the engine, figure on a couple of days taking things easy and being sure things are in the right place. I would definately remove the gas tank. It makes things easier getting to the starter and the alternator.The change out can be done with the front wheel in the bike but I would remove the fender so it doesn't get scratched. The first time I did the removal and rebuild, it took me a solid week to get things back together, however, I was rebuilding a total I purchased. I am still riding it after 6-1/2 years. And it is still doing great. I had to replace some plastic, sand it all and paint 43 pieces of plastic. The second one was a lot easier. No plastic to paint and none to repair.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Center stand it. Remove the front wheel and fender, gas tank, alternator, not the starter, shelter, ferring and airbox. Get soft ties and tie them to the cross memeber in front of the airbox and tank the tension out hanging it from the rafters. Bring a m/c jack in from the left side to remove. Make sure you have the special tools to unbolt the motor and have a inch/lb torque wrench that goes down to 1 lb.

Allow yourself a week for the first time.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Or just fly Greg up there... he's a great wrench and knows the motor well.

I would bench test the motor before putting it in bike.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Anybody have the lock nut tools they want to rent out or has anyone made their own? Will be working on fabricating those tomorrow...
I shipped mine off several months ago, they've been remade and I intend to sell them on JustWings.com but have not ordered any to sell yet ... sorry.

Why are you replacing your motor? How many miles on the used motor? You may want to replace the ADG as PM before reinstalling the motor.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Or just fly Greg up there... he's a great wrench and knows the motor well.

I would bench test the motor before putting it in bike.
Oh ... that would be nice. But it actually works the other way around. They trailer them for hours to get to me, and then fly back to pick them up. Got a guy flying in to pick his Wing up on Sat.

There really is no test bench that is practical at our level. There are tricks I have learned to make sure the tranny is shifting correctly and before installing the eng. doing a compression test once the starter is bolted on. Verify the valve train is in time and reverse is working mechanically ... but other then that, there is nothing more until spending hours putting it back in. The more you do the faster you get with knowing how things are routed and what to look out for. I've done enough to know where all the bolts go ... I don't put them all in one big bucket but could. After a while you just know.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greg, this is a mid-mileage (60k) known motor, having come out of a hard deer-hit bike. My bike has 180k on it, but has been meticulously cared for and is good for another 100k. I am putting on a new alternator as well while it is down for pm.

My transmission went south on the way home from a 5000k mile trip last week. It is nice of you to come on and share your expertise. I was considering calling you and seeing if you would be interested in either doing a complete rebuild, or at least be willing to check my transmission, and cut my gears. I may go ahead and completely rebuild the motor I take out, just for the "fun" of it, then change it out again and sell the 60k motor. (or hang on to it for a spare)

My Father-in law lives in Panama City Beach, so we come down your way quite often and could deliver the pieces. We would be in no hurry, so you could do it at your convenience. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Rocky, thanks for the pictures... some of us have trouble with the big words, but the pictures work really well.:joke:

I'm tearing into this thing in the morning....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts