GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for guys that don't mount their own tires. Who do you use locally and trust?? Please include the following info: Do they do a good job of balancing them? Is the sevice done carry in or turnkey? Definitions: 1.Turnkey: you ride in, they do it everything, probably only dealers can be trusted with this one. 2.Carry in: you remove the tire and wheel assemblies and take them in. Also please include the labor cost for either procedure. Txs in advance. Terry

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Call Edd Gilbert at Baytown Accessories. I buy all my tires from him, he balances and mounts while you wait. He attends all the rallies. You can ride your bike over and watch him do the work,reasonable and cash talks for a discount.This is turnkey he keeps stock has lifts,it is a business. 281-383-3738 800-547-7613

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I've used Discount Motorcycle Tire in Pasadena a lot. I always carry in and if you buy the tires from them, which is at a fair price, they mount and balance for $7.50/wheel. I think they charge $25/wheel if you ride in.

(713) 477-8473

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bob Lundsford Honda on 45n across from Fry's. They also give a nice discount to Wing owners and there service is really fast and top notch. Lost of HPD get their bikes serviced there.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post that may effect the cost etc. is that I already have the new tires. Terry

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
springbike said:
Bob Lundsford Honda on 45n across from Fry's. They also give a nice discount to Wing owners and there service is really fast and top notch. Lost of HPD get their bikes serviced there.
Yeah, I know all about them, thats where I bought my bike from. I have not had the same results as you with their service deparment on a couple of warranty issues. And I won't go there unless I absolutely have to. Terry

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
springbike said:
Yeah, I know all about them, thats where I bought my bike from. I have not had the same results as you with their service deparment on a couple of warranty issues. And I won't go there unless I absolutely have to. Terry
Terry - I have know the Lunsfords for 25 years, and Ronnie is a good friend of mine. (his dad was "Bob Lunsford" - died about a year ago). Ronnie is as good of a guy as you will ever meet. I passed along a comment about a year ago from a guy I met regarding an unhappy experience at their service department. Ronnie told me that they had a service manager for a while who caused some problems. Ronnie would be glad to hear from anyone regarding problems.

I know that any dealer experience has the ability to go bad - regardless of how good the dealer is. But I know Ronnnie well enough to know that he really does care. It also says something about them that about 2/3s of the total employees have been there for over 25 years. I won't go anywhere else for sales or service on my Goldwing.

I do have an FJR and have used Discount Motorcycle Tire in Pasadena for a fix on a flat there. I wound up buying a tire from them. I was pleased with their service, but I have been told a couple of things. I've been advised to take the wheel in off the bike (which I do anyway). A friend has seen them not be too careful putting the wheel back on the bike. I've also been told to deal with Tom - the owner. I did find him very knowledgeable, and fair in ordering me a special tire that is the OEM tire for my FJR.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post that may effect the cost etc. is that I already have the new tires. Terry
Then get out your wallet.

My experience with that is since they didn't get to turn a buck on the tires, they'll get you on mounting. The money you save buying online, they want for mounting them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
(Eric) Howell's Cycles - Van, Tx.

Had good experiences with Discount Motorcyle Tires and Baytown Accessories also. Another choice would be Howell's Cycles in Van, Tx. Eric is a great guy and has always had what I needed at a very reasonable price. Ride in, chat with him while he does the work, and ride out. Best to set an appointment as he is usually pretty busy. Best I remember Cash delivered the best price also. Everytime I've been there he was replacing tires on a 'Wing and when he finished with me there was another 'Wing waiting on new paws. He has quite a bit of accessories for Goldwings also. Check out www.howellscycle.com for more info on his business.

Makes for a good East Texas ride. Van, Tx. is just off I20 East of Canton, Tx. Eric is a 'Wing rider also.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts