GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving in the morning from Eastland, headed to houston. I will either come down 6 all the way or cut through to killen for a short stop and travel on 190 to 77 then on to houston. I am actually trying to get to Webster, on the south side of Houston. I figure I will be looking at Houston about 2pm. Should I take I45 straight thru?? The toll way? take Hwy 6 around the outer edge, or go even further out and come in from the south . I dont know my way around Houston and need some advice. Thanks in advance, Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Houston Routes

If you can get on Hwy 36 before you get to Houston, you can take it just south of Sealy and catch Fm 1093. Follow 1093 to Fulshear, take a right again on 1093 and follow it to Hwy 99. Take a right on 99 and follow it to FM 2759 and cross the railroad tracks and it turns into Fm 762, Crabb river road. Follow it to you see a turnoff,(left) for Brazos Bend State Park, follow it some curves in road until it deadends into FM 1462. Turn left and follow it to Alvin, turn left on Hwy 35 bypass in Alvin and follow it around to FM 528, Ron Carter car dealership on the corner, turn right on 528 and follow it and it will put you in Webster. Not much traffic until you get to Hwy 59 and 2759, but it thins backout after that.

Other routes might be shorter but will be jammed with traffic at the time you come into Houston and it is hot down here right now.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Hey Paciia, if you take Speedy's route and you are in Fulshear at mealtime, there is a great BBQ place there. Go to Dozier's Grocery and get some of the best que in that part of the State. No kidding. I've been eating there since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Even if it's not mealtime, stop there and get some to take with you. You will not be disappointed. They have been in business for over 50 years, so they know BBQ!!

Now I have to say, I haven't eaten there in the last three years, since I moved to NJ, but When I lived in Texas it was a regular Pilgrimage for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Houston Route help

Wingleader09 is right about the Q at Dozier's. When you get to the redlight in Fulshear, go straight for about 3 blocks, Dozier's is on the left, you can't miss it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Houston Route help

If you get to Webster and you can make it, there is free firworks on Friday night in Kemah. It starts about dark 30, you can watch it from the boardwalk or in the parking lot on Fm 2094, Target parking lot. Will be there Friday nite @ Target parking lot across from the Hoogie Ranch in a green 4 door Chevy truck with a Speedy Gonzales in the window.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am working on the route now!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mark,
Enjoy your trip and be careful of them South Texas buzzards. Wish I could have joined you...
J

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,
Enjoy your trip and be careful of them South Texas buzzards. Wish I could have joined you...
J
I made it!! Buzzards were thick!! took some detours, saw some sights and new country--428 miles and A cold motel room was waiting for me in Webster. off to a planning supper for the ride in the morn. next time!! maybe see you guys this weekend??

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Glad it's you and not me. I just got back home yesterday from a week in Baytown and I hope I never have to go back to that God forsaken place again.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad it's you and not me. I just got back home yesterday from a week in Baytown and I hope I never have to go back to that God forsaken place again.
Hey Brian, I have had a good time, met some nice folks and paid tribute to the fallen hero's, BUT good grief it is miserable down here. The humidity is terrible. I am looking forward ( I think) to the 106 oven heat of west Texas!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Brian, I have had a good time, met some nice folks and paid tribute to the fallen hero's, BUT good grief it is miserable down here. The humidity is terrible. I am looking forward ( I think) to the 106 oven heat of west Texas!!
"It ain't the heat, its the humidity" is a standard mantra here. 101 Wed afternoon at 2 PM 80% humidity. Walk outside from an AC house & in two minutes you are soaking wet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts