GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I set the 2610 to go from home to another city about 130 miles away. I knew the route well. I was just playing with the gps.
It seemed fine for the first 50 miles or so. It took me to an interstate using a pretty good route. The interstate was by far the best, shortest and quickest route to follow. I have driven it many times.
Once I got on the interstate the 2610 went crazy! It directed me off of the interstate on a terrible FM road that would have been at least 35 miles out of the way. I ignored it and for the next 20+ miles it kept giving me instructions to U-turn and go back to the FM road.
I tried several times to make it recalculate but it kept showing the same route.
How can you force the 2610 to suggest alternate routes? The alternate may or may not be better, but sometimes you just don't want to follow it's initial route.

mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike:

What you have described sounds strange. Make sure your unit's software has been updated to the newest level, either 2.90 or the 2.95 beta (I'm at the 2.95 beta level and it seems solid). I know that there was an issue in a pre 2.90 level where it would loop demanding that you turn around. The newer update should take into consideration as to the direction you are heading and calculate from that point on.

-David

·
Registered
759 Posts
did you have the map sets downloaded?....if you didnt..it wont autoroute correctly. same with the street pilot 111. I had the same thing happen to me on my sp 111..called garmin..found out you need the map sets downloaded to make it work correctly. after i dl's the map sets..never had a bit of trouble after that.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Robert

Robert, I don't understand what you are saying about "map sets"? In my SPIII I have the most updated SPIII software downloaded and installed, and I have the most current version of City Navigator North America.

What are these "map sets" that you are talking about?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
stapler101 - have you gone through the setup program on your Garmin yet. You can setup your routing to do or not due specific functions: ie fastest route, shortest route, no U turns/U turns, freeway routes/non-freeway routes, etc. etc. etc.

It sounds like you just need to do some fine tuning on the setup to help some. Now realize, there still might be times where you're going to want to go a different route than what the Garmin might want to take you, but all in all it does a pretty good job. Of course the best is when you do your routing on the MapSource program exactly as you might want them and download them to your Garmin GPS.

Hopefully with a little tuning you'll find it runs a little better.

Good luck,

DaleC

·
Registered
759 Posts
map sets are areas on map source that you download to your gps data card. look at your map source program and look up help on map sets..it will tell you how and what to do. If you dont have these map sets loaded into your gps data card..the auto route feature may not work properly. It is a hit and miss proposition without loading map sets. the gps comes with course firmware you might say...map sets gives the details. Without those details, auto routing may not work properly. I had this problem when I first got my sp111...called garmin..explained that auto - routing or even routes were not working properly...was advised at that time to load map sets for any area I was traveling in..now, my garmin functions properly with auto routing or even routes. Map sets in map source look like county areas on a state map. load the map sets that you will be traveling in along with your route. doesnt take long to do it..using your usb port. so for every trip I take, I make sure I have my route and matching map sets to go with it. I live in ca., so I have one data card loaded with map sets for all of ca. A second data card to take me to where ever else. I used two data cards to go from los angeles to madison for wing ding and back via yellowstone...map sets fit easily onto those two cards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts