GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have always hated referring to the DCT as an automatic transmission.

Automated Manual Transmission better describes the bit of magic it is. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I hate it when people say the DCT is not and automatic. Does it shift on it's own up and down? Then it is doing so automatically.
So did you hate it both times the guy said it is an automated manual transmission?

Freedom.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
It may not operate like a traditional slush box transmission, but it is a automated transmission, just like a CVT is a automated transmission. why would anyone take offense to that? I can get in a car with a DCT and drive it just like my passenger car with a automatic transmission, I don't no why the nuance.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think the nuance is that in use and operation there is a distinct difference in how the 'direct drive feel' of a manual transmission/DCT transmission is missing from CVT and hydrostatic drive automatic transmissions.

The transmission of a DCT bike probably contains 95% of the parts found inside a standard manual. CVTs and torque converters bear almost no resemblance in architecture and parts to manual/DCTs.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
He didn't mention the multiple sensors, solenoids ect to keep from "all that work" involved in shifting manually. A lot "more work" keeping these functioning along with double the clutch parts. No one can fix the DCT. It works great in a race car though, as it will last an entire race and shift real fast. Yay.

·
Registered
505 Posts
He didn't mention.
He also didn’t mention that Honda has been developing automatic transmissions since the late 50s for their bikes or the fact that the first generation DCT became available as an option in 2009. Surprise, no reports of any massive DCT failures or longevity issue as we are now 10 years into their use. They are only getting better and the latest Gold Wing has the 3rd generation DCT. It’s been ten years and counting and how many posts can you locate where people are having issues with their Honda DCT. Granted, if you don’t want one then don’t buy one but there is nothing to indicate that the DCT will not last for the life of the bike and be trouble free...

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I think the nuance is that in use and operation there is a distinct difference in how the 'direct drive feel' of a manual transmission/DCT transmission is missing from CVT and hydrostatic drive automatic transmissions.

The transmission of a DCT bike probably contains 95% of the parts found inside a standard manual. CVTs and torque converters bear almost no resemblance in architecture and parts to manual/DCTs.
I understand that there is a different feel, and that their makeup is completely different. This is certainly true when it comes to the CVT and a traditional automatic transmission also. I'm just saying that they are the same in their operations when it comes to the driver/rider. There is no special skill set needed to go from a traditional automatic to a DCT or CVT. To the operator they function the same.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
He didn't mention the multiple sensors, solenoids ect to keep from "all that work" involved in shifting manually. A lot "more work" keeping these functioning along with double the clutch parts. No one can fix the DCT. It works great in a race car though, as it will last an entire race and shift real fast. Yay.
I know this guy is kind of a troll type, but I think this is a common thought.

Several years ago when I had my nc700 DCT, I pulled into a campground in Colorado. While I was setting up camp, the camp owner came up checking out my bike. He asked the usual questions, where you from, what kind of motorcycle is this, who makes it etc. After I answered his questions he asked what happened to my clutch lever. I expalined the DCT. He shrugged and said, "I hope you have an extended warranty cause your going to need it" LMAO

I now have 70k miles on two different, hard ridden but never a hickup DCT bikes. However, over the years I have been stranded twice in the United States on two different motorcycles. The first time was a broken clutch cable. The second time was a broken clutch lever. LOL

I am now convinced only cave men ride motorcycles with clutches. Me being a modern man will never buy another bike where I actually have to do the shifting... that is soooo 2009 :)

On a serious note, I took my 2010 wing out with my other wing riding buddies last Saturday. I am so used to the Africa Twin DCT always running at peak performance I take it for granted. On the wing I was coming into a sweeping turn in fifth gear, middle of the turn I realize I need to be in fourth to be at the right rpm to exit the turn. I am so spoiled...what a bunch of crap having to shift and upset the geometry of the bike.

Before DCT I never really noticed the irritation of shifting. I actually kind of enjoyed shifting because I love riding motorcycles and that was just how it was. The DCT ruins people! I have a strong feeling I will be replacing the 2010 with a 2019 soon. Good thing I have been required to shift my last 21 motorcycles over the last 40 years and 1.3 million miles of riding or I would be totally worthless:)

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
DCT makes the bike faster
Next question

Haters will be haters. Buy your barn door windshield and chrome up your bike-LOL
I think the word is quick..not faster..last I checked 125+ was faster than 112 mph. Not that it matters at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For a person who has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome DCT is the best thing since sliced bread. I will never never never go back to a manual transmission.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I know this guy is kind of a troll type, but I think this is a common thought.

Several years ago when I had my nc700 DCT, I pulled into a campground in Colorado. While I was setting up camp, the camp owner came up checking out my bike. He asked the usual questions, where you from, what kind of motorcycle is this, who makes it etc. After I answered his questions he asked what happened to my clutch lever. I expalined the DCT. He shrugged and said, "I hope you have an extended warranty cause your going to need it" LMAO

I now have 70k miles on two different, hard ridden but never a hickup DCT bikes. However, over the years I have been stranded twice in the United States on two different motorcycles. The first time was a broken clutch cable. The second time was a broken clutch lever. LOL

I am now convinced only cave men ride motorcycles with clutches. Me being a modern man will never buy another bike where I actually have to do the shifting... that is soooo 2009 :)

On a serious note, I took my 2010 wing out with my other wing riding buddies last Saturday. I am so used to the Africa Twin DCT always running at peak performance I take it for granted. On the wing I was coming into a sweeping turn in fifth gear, middle of the turn I realize I need to be in fourth to be at the right rpm to exit the turn. I am so spoiled...what a bunch of crap having to shift and upset the geometry of the bike.

Before DCT I never really noticed the irritation of shifting. I actually kind of enjoyed shifting because I love riding motorcycles and that was just how it was. The DCT ruins people! I have a strong feeling I will be replacing the 2010 with a 2019 soon. Good thing I have been required to shift my last 21 motorcycles over the last 40 years and 1.3 million miles of riding or I would be totally worthless:)
I have to admit, before the DCT Goldwing came out and members on this board started commenting about it, I never knew what a arduous task shifting a motorcycle was. I didn't know I was mentally taxing myself to the point of not enjoying my rides. Silly me thought I was having fun all of these years, I guess it is something I will have to look into and quit torturing myself, or just give up riding for the sake of my health and sanity.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have to admit, before the DCT Goldwing came out and members on this board started commenting about it, I never knew what a arduous task shifting a motorcycle was. I didn't know I was mentally taxing myself to the point of not enjoying my rides. Silly me thought I was having fun all of these years, I guess it is something I will have to look into and quit torturing myself, or just give up riding for the sake of my health and sanity.
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.
That's what they say, but I do know what I do know, Lol. Just saying, some of the most enjoyable things I've ever done in my life requires mental and physical input from me, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I don't mind putting in the work for the rewards they bring.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts