GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wing has many plastic 'chromed' parts. Do they use a chrome paint?Electrostatic paint?? Dip them in plating tanks???

I bought some chrome paint to play around with, but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Shooter,

Why did you buy chrome paint, when I have a full can, minus one brush stroke.

I got fooled, that crap in the can is gray, not Chrome. I think Chrome paint is like a Holiday fruit cake, Few want it, and those that get it, don't know what to do with it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bulldog, Now what's wrong with fruitcake :? :?: :?: :) We just might really start something here :) :!: :!:

·
Registered
819 Posts
It was posted on the board before that the plastic is painted I guess that makes sense since I don't know how they would plate plastic. so clean it and wax it like you would paint, don't use an abrasive on it. Just my 2 cents.

G

·
Don't be bad mouthing fruitcakes - most of my relatives fall under that umbrella and I deeply resemble that remark. :roll:

I'm not sure what it is they factory coat the plastic trim with but it's not real chrome, I think it is something like mylar or plastic film like the stuff NASA makes weather balloons out of. I have some of the Chrome paint which does look like chrome but finger prints and scuffs real easy. Also if you apply clear coat it turns gray and spotty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
plastic Chrome

The molded plastic piece is coated with copper vapor and then plated with the bright metal. Probably not chrome as that is so brittle, but I don't know what is used.
Anyway, it is metalic, not paint.
Pete

·
Registered
221 Posts
Chrome Plastic

Many People think it’s impossible to chrome plastic, it is not. The process of chrome plating over plastic is actually a process called vacuum metalizing and it is different than electroplating or chrome plating. Vacuum metallizing is process used to make flash light reflectors and automotive lighting shine like chrome. Vacuum metallizing is the process of evaporating aluminum in a vacuum chamber forming an aluminum cloud which than condenses back on and bonds to the plastic to form a uniform layer, which shines like chrome. After the metalizing takes place there is a protective topcoat applied similar to the ones used in the automotive industry. You can also add dyes to the topcoat to achieve bright chrome colors and different shades of gold, bronze, copper, and gunmetal. It is much more environmentally friendly and cost effective than chrome plating or chrome painting. You can vacuum metalize many materials including plastic, metal, glass, fiberglass, and more. There are many different applications for vacuum metallizing including; chrome helmets and accessories, motorcycle/dirt bike parts and accessories, sporting goods, toys, car parts, novelty items, display items, decorative fixtures, cosmetic enclosures, etc.

:yw1:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the info on Chrome Plastic, I guess that explains why Chrome plastic is as expensive or more expensive than the real chrome I bought for my Harley. And I thought owning a Honda would be cheaper than a Harley :caesar: , ordered about $300 worth of chrome plastic yesterday from HDL could not resist the sale :lol: :wink:

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
You know that picture of Leroy? The one where it looks like he's sleeping? I just realized that he ain't sleeping... he's downloading like they do in the Matrix. Hopefully he won't start doing any of that really weird stuff tho'

·
Registered
18 Posts
CHROME PAINT

THEY DO HAVE A CHROME PAINT OUT NOW. IT IS APPLIED LIKE PAINTING BUT A LITTLE DIFFRENT. IT COST ABOUT 1/3 IF WHAT IT COST TO HAVE SOMETHING PLATED.SO DONT WASTE YOUR $$$$ ON CANNED CHROME.CHROME IN A CAN IS THE SAME AS A MECHANIC IN A CAN.A LITTLE HOMEWORK AT YOUR LOCAL AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLIER MAY HELP.

G

·
Do you have a phone # or web address for the supplier TS1800?
I would be interested in checking it out - maybe they have the same in a gold spray which one could use on some of the trip pieces.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts