GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am anxious to buy the latest Garmin Zumo 665LM for my bike. The question is how best to connect into my 2004 system?

Currently, I have an outdated Nuvi 660 connected through the INTERCOM by way of Kennedy Tech equipment. Originally, I purchased it as a package from Kennedy and I REALLY like the way it is done. Everything is tied into my helmet through the GPS on the intercom system rather than the Aux. Leaving the AUX for other stuff. Unfortunately, I don't think the three wires that are for the Nuvi are directly compatible with the ZUMO.

How can I make the Zumo 665LM work with the bike without having to tear out all the Kennedy stuff and maybe have to add additional parts $$$

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just installed the 660LM (same GPS with 1 less feature) on my 2005 moving up from a Zumo 450. The 660 had a single wire coming from the mount that had 4 connectors at the end. Power, a 3.5 MM stereo jack, a 2.5MM stereo jack and a mini plug for the add-on antenna for traffic. I'm not sure how your Nuvi connected to the Kennedy set, but mine was a 3.5MM connector through the Kennedy set, leaving the AUX free for other uses.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

Does the 660/665 have a built-in antenna or must I buy that big disc antenna separately?
The Garmin page isn't very clear.

Are you able to post a picture of your setup?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the help.

Does the 660/665 have a built-in antenna or must I buy that big disc antenna separately?
The Garmin page isn't very clear.

Are you able to post a picture of your setup?
The 665 comes with the XM radio and antenna. The 660 does not have XM radio so there is no need for an antenna.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=120318&compareProduct=117259

When I installed my 665, I removed all Kennedy wiring.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I had to add a mic-splitter to be able to talk through my phone. I used the Edsets version http://www.edsets.com/product_details.php?search_string=split&search_category_id=0&item_id=201 but there are other ones available.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just installed the 660LM (same GPS with 1 less feature) on my 2005 moving up from a Zumo 450. The 660 had a single wire coming from the mount that had 4 connectors at the end. Power, a 3.5 MM stereo jack, a 2.5MM stereo jack and a mini plug for the add-on antenna for traffic. I'm not sure how your Nuvi connected to the Kennedy set, but mine was a 3.5MM connector through the Kennedy set, leaving the AUX free for other uses.
I too have a 665 Zumo and have it totally integrated into my bike thru the aux input... You should be able to use your Kennedy cell set thru the same input you are using now - I have hooked them up like this on friends bikes in the past... I believe though, that the 2.5mm jack, is a mono jack and is used for the external mic input, at least that is how it is on my setup and my homemade mic splitter cable feeds that connection thru my boom mic on my headset for hands free cell service when on the bike...

You could use the device shown below in lieu of the Kennedy or if you don't want to use the aux input for whatever reason... The Gold Wing GPS input device works well according to the feedback I have seen and does come in thru the Intercon ONLY if you orefer that to the dual functionality of speakers or headset when using the aux input...

http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp ...

Personally, I use the aux input as I listen to XM thru my 665 and it's MP3 player as well... The times I use the bike AM/FM/WB are very far and few between, so that type setup works very well for me... I also use XM Nav Weather and XM Nav Traffic as well and find them very useful... My bike does have Navi and XM but I prefer to use the Garmin for the obvious reasons of making changes while riding and loading custom routes... I do use the bike Navi as a supplement to my Zumo as it's display is a bit larger and clearer than the 665 Zumo display...

Les

1 - 5 of 5 Posts