GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...without interrupting any other system on the bike? When at speeds greater than 50 mph I have to stab the button two or three times. I'm not so old that if someone can tell me how to do this I will swear that I won't ride for hundreds of miles with the turn signals still on.

Than again I guess it doesn't matter; who uses turn signals in Florida anyway?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jburd - Thanks for the info. Sorry that it appeared twice the same day. I was in too much of a hurry last night and I've been eager to ask the question. The fix looks easy enough but I probably won't do it since I'm still under waranty and I don't want something sort of fine print to prevent a waranty repair. So I'll just stab the button two or three times if necessary

DJ Fire - We have some long turn lanes around here and maybe my bike has a short fuse. I can't even get through a clover leaf (or jughandle, if you like that term) intersection without reengaging twice. Maybe I'm too concerned about "signaling" my intention to compensate for the fact that no one else around here knows how to use them.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
How can I get rid of self canceling turn signals..

Lets see-Ship the bike to me and you won't have to worry about turn signals anymore.

Anymore Questions.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I, too, was at first somewhat annoyed at the signals shutting off too quickly while I was making a long, sweeping turn. I just got used to pushing the turn lever more often and now it doesn't bother me. Also be aware that the length of time the signals will stay lit depends on how fast you are going: the faster you travel, the quicker the signals shut off . . . the slower you go the longer thay stay on. You probably already know that the shut off mechanism is ativated by the bike leaning over. If you don't lean, the turn signal stays on until you cancel it.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
You probably already know that the shut off mechanism is ativated by the bike leaning over. If you don't lean, the turn signal stays on until you cancel it.
Not 100% true.

Test me... next time you're riding down the highway, going straight, put on your turn signal and 11 flashes later it will turn off as long as you are above a certain speed.

Post what you found.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
. You probably already know that the shut off mechanism is activated by the bike leaning over. If you don't lean, the turn signal stays on until you cancel it.
Actually it shuts off by either 10 flashes over 45 mph.or from the cancel lever/plate under the triple tree.

If you turn the turn signal on under 45 mph and don't complete a turn it will stay on all day or until the bike is shut off.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Geez, this gets more confusing by the post. The OP had another post on this same subject where techdud2000, wingwing myself and maybe others, were responding. It sure seems as if no two bikes act the same.

From Rocky's post above, none of our bikes (wingwing, techdude2000, Rocky and self) seem to act the same with respect to signal cancellation.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Geez, this gets more confusing by the post. The OP had another post on this same subject where techdud2000, wingwing myself and maybe others, were responding. It sure seems as if no two bikes act the same.

From Rocky's post above, none of our bikes (wingwing, techdude2000, Rocky and self) seem to act the same with respect to signal cancellation.
Richard.I know it's mentioned in a manual.I'm looking in the service manual and can't locate it at the moment,but I'm sure it must be in the Owners manual that is in my bike that is still being held hostage.

If yours is handy look at the beginning of the OM where it details about it's switches.

The only thing I can't confirm is is it 35 0r 45.I know mt 1200 & 1500 was 45.
They may have lowered it on the 1800 to 35 mph.But the rest has been proven on my bike and others that I ride with.all years too.

I'll have a few test theirs this weekend when I meet up with them.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
...If yours is handy look at the beginning of the OM where it details about it's switches...

Rocky, this is the only thing my OM says:
"The turn signal switch is used to signal a turn. To operate, move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The appropriate turn signal lights will start blinking. The lights will automatically stop when you complete the turn. (You can manually cancel the lights by pushing the switch in.)

To signal a lane change, move the switch all the way to the left or right and
release it. The turn signal lights will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after
riding 110 yards (120 m)."

Edit: using the numbers provided in the manual (110 yards in 7 seconds) equates to approx. 32 mph.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, this is the only thing my OM says:
"The turn signal switch is used to signal a turn. To operate, move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The appropriate turn signal lights will start blinking. The lights will automatically stop when you complete the turn. (You can manually cancel the lights by pushing the switch in.)

To signal a lane change, move the switch all the way to the left or right and
release it. The turn signal lights will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after
riding 110 yards (120 m)."
Thanks for looking.I'll reconfirm with the bikes this weekend and let you know what they say at 35 & 45 mph.
My bike acts as I posted above.I just can't remember if it's 35 or 45 seeing I tested this some two years ago.

·
Registered
674 Posts
How can I get rid of self canceling turn signals..

Lets see-Ship the bike to me and you won't have to worry about turn signals anymore.

Anymore Questions.:shrug:
No, he should FIRST sign the clear title over to ME, then ship it to me........;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ran a test on my 2010. The turn signals will self cancel, unless you stop before they cancel.

I tested it as slow as 18 MPH. Turned on the turn signal and coasted. Didn't touch the brake or the clutch. Signal turned off after 15 flashes. That number varied as I went started from a faster speed, with 11 being the number I counted when starting just below 35 MPH.

This is the best solution:

http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/signalmadness.html

·
Registered
948 Posts
I seem to recall reading that the cancel feature is determined by distance traveled after engaging the turn signal. The lean angle sensor will cancel it when you make the turn, or it will cancel after traveling, I think, about 500 ft. I could be wrong about the distance, but that's the main idea. I'll bet Fred H. could tell us for sure, but he's probably out riding somewhere.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
It's simple guys, the cancel unit uses pulses from the speedometer to cancel. If you turn them on at a stop, they will flash forever because there's no pulses coming from the speedometer. If you cut the line or pull out the pin in the connector from the speedometer they will act the same way while in motion. The lever on the bottom of the head assembly only has an affect on the unit if the pulses are present. There's no lean angle sensor. Leaning has nothing to do with it, moving and turning the handlebars slightly does. This is not the function of the bank angle sensor.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ran a test on my 2010. The turn signals will self cancel, unless you stop before they cancel.

I tested it as slow as 18 MPH. Turned on the turn signal and coasted. Didn't touch the brake or the clutch. Signal turned off after 15 flashes. That number varied as I went started from a faster speed, with 11 being the number I counted when starting just below 35 MPH.

This is the best solution:

http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/signalmadness.html
I did this mod on my bike and it works great!!! I got everything from Radio Shack followed the schematic & bingo!! You don't have to be an electronic genius, you just have to have faith in the designer.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's simple guys, the cancel unit uses pulses from the speedometer to cancel. If you turn them on at a stop, they will flash forever because there's no pulses coming from the speedometer. If you cut the line or pull out the pin in the connector from the speedometer they will act the same way while in motion. The lever on the bottom of the head assembly only has an affect on the unit if the pulses are present. There's no lean angle sensor. Leaning has nothing to do with it, moving and turning the handlebars slightly does. This is not the function of the bank angle sensor.
You obviously know a lot more about this than I, and I respect your abilities. However, I can tell you that when I make the turn into my street (or any other street for that matter) and lean the bike, my turn signal cancels immediately when I straighten up, no matter how many times it has flashed. Seems to work exactly as my HD Road King did, based on the bank angle sensor. Why is that?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
There's 2 reasons that it works like it does, 1.you are moving and pulses are being sent to the cancel unit, 2. when you lean, whether you realize it or not, you turn the handlebars slightly and then straighten them. If there was a lean angle sensor for the signals, they wouldn't have put the wiper arm on the bottom of the tripletree. :thumbup: You can test the toy by removing the screw in the wiper arm and letting it go free. The turn/lean will not trigger the immediate turn off and the only thing that will cancel it then will be time and the pulses from the speedo.

The pulses are the only way the cancel unit knows the bike is in motion. If you disconnect the pulses from it, it "thinks" the bike is sitting at a light waiting and it won't cancel them. You could lean it to the ground and they will still be flashing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Installed tapered bearings in the steering stem the other day. When I put everything back together, I tested everything. All worked well until i tried to cancel the turn signal by just turning the handle bars. I mistakingly thought that the wiper switch on the bottom side of the stem was faulty or that I had bent some of the pins on the connector. Took everything back off. found no problems. re assymbled . tested again. Same prob. started bike on center stand and tested. same problem , put bike in gear and tested. Same prob. Guess I need to get it on the road to test it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts