GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a new 2012 GW. It's my first GW and I'm really enjoying it. At the same time, I'm having problems with the amount of effort it takes to keep the throttle open. I know it isn't THAT stiff, but I have a weird muscle disorder and my hands/forearms stiffen up much faster than a normal person would.

So far, I've tried using the cruise control a lot, but because of traffic, I just can't do much with it. I added my trusty Cramp Buster throttle rocker and it helps too, but maybe not enough. So, now I'm out of ideas. :shrug:

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you not able to exercise and increase your strength and endurance? A throttle rocker and using the cruise whenever possible are the only other ideas I have.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Head back to the dealer and check other wings throttles, yours should be butter smooth and with little effort. If yours is really stiffer from other wings, then have them fix it. You may also want to visit a physical therapist who can look at your ride position and recommend some ergo changes and maybe some exercises to mitigate the issue.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It will also loosen up over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem but because I have large hand the stock grips are two small and on my new 2012 they were tough to turn. I had Kry ISO Grips put on and that made a major change in the feel and gave me better leverage on the throttle.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Just wait for the 2014 - you will get Throttle By Wire

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think if the new 2012 throttle was easier........it would be too sensitive.........my thoughts. Mine is the same way.....but with the power pulling from a dead stop,and hitting bumps it may roll faster...not sure how I would like it?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think if the new 2012 throttle was easier........it would be too sensitive.........my thoughts. Mine is the same way.....but with the power pulling from a dead stop,and hitting bumps it may roll faster...not sure how I would like it?
Good point.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Try emailing Gary at this site:

http://www.g2ergo.com/

They have models that change mechanical ratio as you twist the throttle. I just put one on my Tiger 800 XC to slow down the action. The throttle is also lined with delrin to reduce friction. Actually they have two models for GL1800s.

Pete

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have read about a fix to either the FJR1300 or ST1300 where one "unwinds" a turn from the throttle spring. Perhaps something like that would work for you.

Ken

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have noticed a decreased effort required for my throttle with the addition of foam grips I got from Shinhopples. Increased diameter of the grips NOW means less effort required on my "grip" hand!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I have read about a fix to either the FJR1300 or ST1300 where one "unwinds" a turn from the throttle spring. Perhaps something like that would work for you.

Ken
A friend has done this on his gold wing and it helps.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hello All,

I have a new 2012 GW. It's my first GW and I'm really enjoying it. At the same time, I'm having problems with the amount of effort it takes to keep the throttle open. I know it isn't THAT stiff, but I have a weird muscle disorder and my hands/forearms stiffen up much faster than a normal person would.

So far, I've tried using the cruise control a lot, but because of traffic, I just can't do much with it. I added my trusty Cramp Buster throttle rocker and it helps too, but maybe not enough. So, now I'm out of ideas. :shrug:

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
You have several options. This is only one and not sure if they make one for the Wing. Moose Racing Dual Gasser Throttles - ATV - Motorcycle Superstore

There are thumb throttles also.

I would start searching for handicap motorcycle modifications. Someone out there has just what you need.

There is a way for anything. I have rigged up a dual brake for a fellow, but do not know about the throttle situation but if you search handicap motorcycle and or modifications, I am quite sure someone has invented something.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts