GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope that someone can help me. I want to add a computer that is 200 ft away or 300ft if I use a cable. Dont want to spend a ton but would like to get my mom onto my DSL router. Linksys wireless only goes 70 to 100ft and ethernet cable says up to 300ft max.

Any ideas?

TIA, Bob

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just a couple of questions. If the 2nd computer is 200 feet away, why do you need 300 feet of wire? What kind of structure is this going to be in? Is the second computer even in the same building as the first computer? We need more info??????????

·
Registered
552 Posts
Buy a inexpensive 4 port ethernet switch (linksys?), 2 depending on your hardware. You could configure in this manner:

Run from router to switch, 1 port to existing pc, 2nd port to 2nd switch 100-200 ft, from port on 2nd switch the remaining distance to 2nd pc. Of course this means you have power somewhere to power the 2nd hub.

2nd switch acts as a repeater. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What MnXWinger said.

It works for me, lets me have connectivity in the shop. 8)

I am not a network guru but, I have wired the house and shop for ethernet and it works great. Depending on the equipment you can stretch the recommended distances a little. I use the Linksys stuff (cheapest I could find at the time).

Would like to have the g ugrade on the wireless because the 2.4 GHz cordless phone interferes with the b version. When the phone rings I lose my connection on my laptop. :(

Good luck :!:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dale:

I had the same issue with my 2.4GHz phone, I corrected the issue by changing the channel in the setup for the router and in my pcmcia card setup in my laptop. I have the D-Link DI-624 wireless router and DWL-G650 cards in my laptop.

-David

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
uneasyrider,

I know that they reccomend 300' max. But it will actually work much much further than that.

Iv'e done installations that fail on LAN test meter because the lenght was too long, but when you connect it up, it passes data just fine.

I think that I've had success up to almost 375' of CAT 5 cable.

Try it to see what happens

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
in my former employment , we wanted to run a connection to our new warehouse, about 350 feet from the office. we got estimates of several hundred dollars.

one saturday we ran a cord out there and plugged it in. it worked just fine. total cost was like $ 30 for the wire.

i dont see why it wouldnt work, but i think its a good cheap gamble to try it before spending real money.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bob - I also use a Linksys wireless router for part of my home network, but you may want to try using on the other end the Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter WUSB24 which is rated with a maximum indoor/outdoor length of 300 feet. You could also incorporate the Linksys Wireless Signal Booster - WSB24 and between either the first one or the addition of the booster you would be okay.

Good Luck hope you get there,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The whole point of a packet system is that it's robust in the face of poor conditions. I'd just try the wire first. So what if bad packets slow down your speed from 100 to 80 mb/s.

Is your mom going to notice that when your dsl speed is probably below 1 mb/s?

What's to lose? You'll be using the wire anyway if you do have to go to a repeater.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think Dale has the answer. Regular cat 5 is not water proof and proformance will go down hill if it gets wet.

I use a wireless router in many of my clients homes and businesses. Very cost effective and easy to maintain and set up. Run the cat 5 as far as you can then put the wireless router on the end or use the repeater

Wireless card in moms set. Downside anyone that goes by could infiltrate your system as with any wireless system

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think Dale has the answer. Regular cat 5 is not water proof and proformance will go down hill if it gets wet.

I use a wireless router in many of my clients homes and businesses. Very cost effective and easy to maintain and set up. Run the cat 5 as far as you can then put the wireless router on the end or use the repeater

Wireless card in moms set. Downside anyone that goes by could infiltrate your system as with any wireless system

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<Downside anyone that goes by could infiltrate your system as with any wireless system>

True, but be sure to also set your wireless system's encryption level up to decent level for added security. There are also other measures to take that will significantly improve your security if you need an improved comfort level on wireless.

Wireless is great and when either my son's visit me or I visit them we all have our systems setup the same way so on visits we can bring in our laptops to each of our homes and have our own internet connection if needed.

DaleC

·
Registered
38 Posts
<Downside anyone that goes by could infiltrate your system as with any wireless system>

I was concerned with wireless security too, so we went with Siemons Powerline Ethernet adapters. Plug one into any wall outlet, plug in your ethernet cable and instant network. Put one adapter on the cable router in the office and one in each of the boys networks. About 4Mps speed, but still faster than the Internet connection.

·
Registered
561 Posts
DaleC said:
True, but be sure to also set your wireless system's encryption level up to decent level for added security.
I would not recommend trusting WEP for really important data flow. I run such over an ssh tunnel to be certain. (I do that over wire, for that matter.)

For day to day use, it'll do fine, though. Just be sure to use a decent key and change it every now and then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts