GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having over-heating indications on my '05 when stuck in construction traffic and climbing hills at slow speed. I cannot say for certain I have ever heard the cooling fan come on and I have climbed the heat gauge to the top. Is there a simple way to verify the fan is running short of waiting for a meltdown? I have searched and read that the fan should run below 15 mph but I cannot hear or feel anything nor can I observe the cooling fan. I would assume there is air-flow that can be felt?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
By ear. There is no other indicator. You can test by just letting it idle in a quiet place and wait. You will hear them. In fact, do a reset. Start a cold bike without ever touching the throttle and let it idle until the fans come on. Two birds, one stone.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found I can see the fan, it turns freely by hand, I let it idle till the heat gauge needle was half-way between the red zone and the top hash-mark, and the fan did not move. Surely by then the fan should have come on?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, the fans should have been running before the temperature gauge rose much above halfway. Even with my poor hearing, I can hear my fans run, and if you place your hand in front of the front lower fairing, you can feel the hot air blowing out.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You WILL hear them when they spin up... quite loud. It happens just a hairs-width below halfway on the gauge. Your fans are not working.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will have them checked at the dealer when i have other work done. Funny, I've driven it 43,000 miles and I'll bet they never worked. Had the same problem on the first trip and the last trip when I hit the mountains and long slow hills.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You're probably right about them never working. The first time I was sitting a light and they came on I thought it was about to lift off it make so much racket.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
What's a reset??
It is a procedure to reset your computer's memory of the fuel information. After you ride, it will do new computations on the fuel curve etc. Sometimes cures rough idle or loss of mileage. The "fans come on" thing is merely an easy way to tell if you have let it run long enough to reset, it's not actually necessary as Honda specifies OT (operating temperature) and waiting for the the fans to come on removes guesswork.

Philip....
Check your fan fuse. On '05 and below it's #7. Your fuse cover has what fuses do in a graphic list on the front.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I found I can see the fan, it turns freely by hand, I let it idle till the heat gauge needle was half-way between the red zone and the top hash-mark, and the fan did not move. Surely by then the fan should have come on?
Not necessarily. I have reset my ECM a few times and I am always amazed at how long it takes for those fans to come on at idle. Be patient with the fans and give them plenty of time. 5 or 6 minutes seems like forever when you're just standing there waiting for the fans to come on, but that's how long mine takes, at least!

·
Registered
331 Posts
How can I tell if my cooling fan is running

I would check the #7 fuse in the fuse box. That is the fan fuse. It may be blown. Could be the only problem.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
I'm having over-heating indications on my '05 when stuck in construction traffic and climbing hills at slow speed. I cannot say for certain I have ever heard the cooling fan come on and I have climbed the heat gauge to the top. Is there a simple way to verify the fan is running short of waiting for a meltdown? I have searched and read that the fan should run below 15 mph but I cannot hear or feel anything nor can I observe the cooling fan. I would assume there is air-flow that can be felt?
Thanks
Have you noticed a drop in fuel mileage? The engine coolant temp sensor(ECT) has 2 parts to it. One half drives the temp gauge and the other half sends temp info to the ECM. The ECM uses this info to adjust the fuel mixture at startup (acts like a choke) and to turn on the fans when it needs to. If this sensor fails the right way the fans may not run and it will consume more fuel because the ECM thinks the engine is cooler than it is. This will cause it to run the engine richer than necessary and possibly never turn on the fans. Goodluck with the dealer. :thumbup:

Note: My 04's fans come on before the gauge goes over the midline.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd already checked the fuse and replaced it just to be sure. Examination of the fan blades looks to me like they have never run. Dirty but no lines like they have thrown off rain or mud. It's about time for an air-filter so I'll have them diagnose the problem at the same time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
FYI... The fans blow forward! :shrug:
That would be a neat trick - considering the fans are mounted laterally. A Goldwing is pretty good at testing the laws of physics - but it doesn't break them :) What they actually do is blow inward towards the front of the engine and forks.

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
155 Posts
Fans

After reading the posts.. i got concerned that my fans may not be working so.. i did what was suggested and started my bike and let it idle. Sure enough the fans came on!! But.. it took definately longer than 10 minutes and maybe more. The temp gauge was just below mid way which is where it normally runs.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Yep, the ambient air temp has an effect as well as the wind blowing or not and which direction. Mine has idled for 20 minutes before they came on trying to dry out the radiators when I washed it the first time. A leaf blower takes care of that now in 20 seconds.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Yep, the ambient air temp has an effect as well as the wind blowing or not and which direction. Mine has idled for 20 minutes before they came on trying to dry out the radiators when I washed it the first time. A leaf blower takes care of that now in 20 seconds.
Darn ... lost that one to the hackers at the dealer. They'll probably recommend a new gas tank or something stupid to fix his problem and have the bike laid up for weeks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Fans

You should be able to hear them, but also if I remember correctly, they will only come on when you are moving less than 20 mph and in 1st or 2nd gear. Any faster and they turn off again so that the forward blowing fans do not fight the air trying to enter through the fairing ports.

The test at idle, not moving, should work to see if they are working or not.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
If his gauge is going almost to the red, as soon as he comes to a stop, they should be running. Most "normally" functioning 1800s will run the fans even before the gauge goes past the half way mark.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts