GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So only having this new 2018 Goldwing Tour since October, I have noticed that the gas gauge bars go down to one one bar rather quickly. At one bar left, the miles to go indicator shows that I still have 80 or so miles to go to empty. I've been pretty conservative and have bought gas relatively soon after I see one bar left, but that is after only going 125-150 miles.
What experiences do others have?
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Similar questions have been asked before. IIRC, consensus is the display is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I look at the range, not the bars. The last bar can stay on there for 40 - 50 miles.
I usually get gas when the range says 50 - 75 because the light will come on around 40 - 50. It usually takes about 4.3 to 4.5 gallons then so I still have 1 gallon reserve. Don't want to run it low all the time, the fuel pump needs the gas to keep it running cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Flyboy. I have been so conservative I did not even know there was a light!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Late last year I was taking the bike out for a ride while the weather was nice. The battery was stone cold dead, so I had to jump the bike. I was running down the highway trying to build the charge back up and ran out of gas will 20+ miles still showing on the range. It was likely because of the dead battery screwing with the computer, but still...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've run it down to three flashing bars on three different occasions and each time I put in 5.44 gals. Supposedly the tank only holds 5.4 gals.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have ran mine 3 miles past it starting to show only "--" about 3 times now and pumped just a hair under 5.5 gallons each time. Honda has listed 5.6g tank in some publications, and I sort-of believe it. I really do not even look at the 6 blocks between F and E, those things are so useless and only accurate for such a brief time and only once during the emptying of the tank. The real meaning of those blocks are listed below.

Full
less than full
more than half
half
less than half
more than empty

The range estimation is far more meaningful for planning "get gas" now or in the next town.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My experience with my bike and riding style has been to fill up when the range to go reads around 40 miles left. That typically translates into 4.2 or so gallons, and so that would suggest there's at least a gallon or so remaining. I've yet to run the bike to an out of fuel condition. I have run it to the point the fuel light came on, but I was already looking for a gas station at that point. My memory is a bit foggy as that was almost two years ago and I believe I had around 254 miles on the odometer and the range to go read, I think, 21 miles remaining. I'm guessing on the amount of fuelI filled as just over 5 gallons when I finally stopped. So, I think the gauge is "close", but I choose to fill-up at the 40 miles remaining point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use trip meter in conjunction with the gas bar. I will go comfortably 235 miles before filling up. If I have one bar flashing and over 235 miles since last fill up, then I know I need to stop soon or I will be pushing it, with my luck it would be pushing it up hill.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Be sure to remember that the accuracy of the estimate depends on the the rate of fuel consumption staying the same.

Change the fuel usage rate (by changing speed for example) and the estimate error will increase.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Actually it's 5.55 gallons.
I have put in 5.57 gallons once and 5.5 a couple times. The range indicator is very accurate but turns to three dashes at about 12 miles remaining

1 - 16 of 16 Posts