GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding in city traffic today there was a guy behind me who kept stopping about 5’ feet behind me at each light. It felt too close in my mirrors and one time I even turned my head around to assess the distance. That’s when I estimated it at 4-5’. It annoyed me somewhat and worried me a little because I was thinking, “What if he saw the green turn arrow for the adjacent lane and absent-mindedly rolled forward into me?” If I were in a 4 wheel vehicle it wouldn’t have even caught my attention but on the bike it did.

I’m posting this because I thought to myself, well, A-holes will always be with us and besides, what can I do anyway? But is that true…is there something more I could do to get people to stay back a little further? I have a brake light modulator, keep it in 1st gear and watch the mirrors at stops, etc.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,052 Posts
This happens to me once in a while too. Usually people tend to stay a bit further back, I wonder if they are also riders when they stay further back. As far as what to do? I think looking back like you did should clue in anyone with half an ounce of common sense, but as you pointed out "they" are among us. I'm not sure if there really is anything we can do about it except let them around us, altercations with people in cages is lose lose for us.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
City traffic, stop and go, 4-5 feet is plenty of room. That's half a car length. Me thinks you are overly cautious.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Roll to the stop more gradually and leave more room between you and the car in front of you. If they stop close, roll yourself up a bit and see if they do as well.

Do a SMIDSY as you are slowing.

Add a brake light flasher,

Pull in to a parking lot and let them go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know I cannot control others so I defensively make more buffer between me and the vehicle in front of me.

I set myself up to the left/right of the vehicle in front of me so I can quickly goose it to their side if it is telegraphed the car behind me is about to hit. Or enough cushion room in case I can’t see the vehicle behind them get hit and pushed into me. I will get hit but perhaps not sandwiched.

I wish my State allowed filtering.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Even driv'nnn, I hate when a vehicle is too close to me, when M/Cycle group riding, I prefer to be last in line, this gives me the freedom to enjoy the ride w/o worrying what another ride'rr will do..........It would/could ruin a good friendship, if your friend hits you...
it happened to me once (SORRY LARRY {greyhound} )

Ronnie
6/19/22

Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Not a whole lot you can do about it legally unless they hit ya. The alternative is to change lanes to get outa their way.
If you're tough enough, you could park your bike and go back and yell at the driver, hoping he or she isn't armed.
When ya get into an argument with a car driver, you're at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to ramming each other.
Some people are just ditsy and haven't got a clue about how you feel about them rolling up behind ya. On the other hand, you might be the one who is getting to worked up.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have to regularly stop at a couple intersections that my bike doesn't trip the stop light sensor in the road. It irritates me when the car behind me stops so far back they don't trip the sensor either. I try to wave them closer. Usually they are clueless as to why.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have to regularly stop at a couple intersections that my bike doesn't trip the stop light sensor in the road. It irritates me when the car behind me stops so far back they don't trip the sensor either. I try to wave them closer. Usually they are clueless as to why.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I feel ya. Luckily in my State we have a legal run it law for motorcycles that after 3 minutes, if no cars coming, we can run the red. For me though, for the known problem lights the 3 minutes start about 2m30s before I got there ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think Andy has the right idea. If someone is really getting on your nerves, I'd rather pull over and have them go by me. Of course this is no guarantee the next vehicle to come along won't do the same, but it's better than stewing and worrying that you're dealing with someone who's putting you at risk.

·
Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
351 Posts
I've developed the habit of looking far ahead for traffic signals. When I know I won't make the light I back off right away and practice my "slow race". It doesn't happen all the time but, very frequently the light will change before I have to put a foot down. It makes me laugh (and shake my head) when the cages "fly" by me in adjacent lanes only to "hurry up and stop".

NCBirdMan

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Someone tailgating you is not acceptable period.
I would love to say speed up and SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES.
But I must say safely let the ******* pass you & hopefully they will crash

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That's interesting... I've notice around here some folks are stopping well over a car length from the car in front of them.... 15 feet or more. You could easily put another car between them and the car in front of them. It's bizarre... Like they are social distancing in their car....
Yes, it's crazy. The last few years it's a trend. The back up of traffic even in our small town of 10K residents it much longer just because of all the excess distance left between vehicles at stop lights and the delay to get moving when the light finally changes. Pull up and tighten up the line....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Riding in city traffic today there was a guy behind me who kept stopping about 5’ feet behind me at each light. It felt too close in my mirrors and one time I even turned my head around to assess the distance. That’s when I estimated it at 4-5’. It annoyed me somewhat and worried me a little because I was thinking, “What if he saw the green turn arrow for the adjacent lane and absent-mindedly rolled forward into me?” If I were in a 4 wheel vehicle it wouldn’t have even caught my attention but on the bike it did.

I’m posting this because I thought to myself, well, A-holes will always be with us and besides, what can I do anyway? But is that true…is there something more I could do to get people to stay back a little further? I have a brake light modulator, keep it in 1st gear and watch the mirrors at stops, etc.
. .. I find this light works wonders. Are you need is a hot wire from your brake light. YMMV

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
. .. I find this light works wonders. Are you need is a hot wire from your brake light. YMMV
One of the first things I install on my bikes is a LED strobe head like that but it doesn't keep the worst of tailgaters at bay.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,052 Posts
Thanks for the link. I've been wanting something like this for the Wing and our camper. New camper but it has standard bulb brake lights that are pretty sad in the daytime, thinking of mounting one above each brake light. This would also nicely replace that reflector on the lower rear fender of the Wing.

Reactions: Steve 0080
1 - 20 of 83 Posts