GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my bike this afternoon into the early evening. Man did it get chilly. I checked the thermometer on the bike and it said 34 degrees.:eek:4: Two thin jackets and a sweatshirt were adequate for the upper, but the dockers and crocks (with socks :cool:) proved not to be comfortable.

Made me think about others. What is the coldest temp you have ridden in? I didn't have a thermometer back when I was riding my vulcan, but wifey and I left a hotel on a leaf peepers mission and there was severe frost on everything.:22yikes:

I much prefer temps in the 70's.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
rode sunday 29* have a heated jacket:thumbup:

G

·
Took my FJR1300 to the shop tonight for a recall and it was 34 when I left and 29 when I got there. Didn't think I would need the electrics, but my hands told me differently. I have ridden in colder, but only with electrics on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, a bunch of us just got back from the Death Valley ride and the coldest temp reading I saw on my bike was 23 degrees. I did have a Gerbings jacket liner under my Tourmaster jacket and thermals under my jeans and I was very comfortable. Riding in the cold is no problem with electric clothing, good winter gloves, good boots and clear roads!

Of course, riding with such a great group of people really makes it even better!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
24 degrees, but only because when it got cold my wife insisted on me driving her to the DC metro. I ride at least a few days a week, the only problem I seem to have is with the faceshield fogging up, so I have to lift it a notch usually. I bought really good winter gloves, which are good for about an hour. I'll be investing in some electric gloves soon.

·
Registered
775 Posts
back about 20+ years ago I left southern Indiana, headed for Daytona Beach. 4 degrees below zero when I left. never got above 25 for the first 400 miles. At that temp, even the electric suit wouldn't keep me warm.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have First Gear Kilimanjaro & HT overpants. Add Gerbings liner & gloves, wool socks & good boots, maybe another layer or 2, and I haven't found the bottom yet. I've ridden down into the mid to low 20's. I'd ride colder if I could get off the hill, but the ice in the driveway and on the hill has defeated me so far.

My wife has a good Revv'it jacket, Gerbings Liner. Gerbings pants & gloves. I can get her out into the 30's, but if it's colder than that she won't leave home.

We were at Lake Placid in October. I looked out the window in the morning & it was snowing. The snow wasn't sticking, so I was ggod to go, but she wouldn't leave until it stopped. Cold coming down the mountain, but we were comfortable..

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I try not to ride under 32 because of ice. I think the coldest it got here at night this winter was like 26. One night I knew it was going to be cold and was going to ride to work but at the last min decided to wimp out. Next morning the ice was around and when I arrived here in town several places was having traffic directed around the ice. Was a wet fog that night that froze. We don't get very much of it but to me it's just not worth taking the chance with it. There is enough good days and nights here year around that I can afford to miss few icy and foggy times.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
34 today, but clear skies and roads. A nice 40 mile ride just to ride and to keep the battery charged. :coffee1:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Here in north central Florida I can handle as low as 40 but my favorite temp is 50.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Down around 20F, but just for the few miles to work, knowing it would be in the low 30s on my way home since I have no heated riding apparel.

However, the coldest I've been on a bike was the morning I set off on my Iron Butt ride on my Suzuki C50. The temp was 26F when I started and it didn't seem to warm up until I got to southern Utah and started losing elevation. Man, it was cold. Didn't have near the protection on that bike as we have on the Wing.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Didn't check the temp, but this morning about 1:00, when I got off work, there was about 1 inch of snow on the bike. Started right up on the 7 year old battery and didn't encouter any road ice on the way home. (Sure feels squirrely though, even if it isn't).:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
40F is usually my bottom line. However, I've ridden when it was in the high 20's, only because I was going to an RTE. I had already ridden 300 miles north to get to my motel for the night, so the last 30 miles was not too bad, except for the snow on the road. Was glad to meet a highway truck who had thrown sand on the road ahead.
Finally got my electric vest wired up and operating, just have not used it yet. I need better winter gloves, just can't find any that will fit my hand.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Mid 20's for me too! But now having the heated seats and grips..kinda helps out a bit. :tongue:

Shadow1

Hal

1 - 20 of 46 Posts