GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In February 2003, I picked up my new Honda ST1300 with a temperature of 23 degrees. Within the next few days I'll be picking up my new Goldwing, and once again the temperatures are very cold here in the Ohio Valley region.

As a Goldwing owner, how cold will you ride?:coffee1:

·
Young Buck
2,549 Posts
Lower teens. About 15 is my limit.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think it all depends on the type of protective clothing you have. I believe with the correct gear, a person could ride in very cold weather. Most of us here in South Florida do not have the knowledge or the equipment to protect ourselves from those elements. For me, below 50 degrees is where I draw the line. The few times the weather is that bad does not make me want to spend the kind of money to properly outfit myself. To answer your question, I suspect there are lots of folks that can put you on to the correct clothing that will enable you to ride in freezing weather and still be comfortable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depends how far the ride is. Just around town and to work, in the teens (mind you I've told my boss the limit is 18 anything colder and I'm calling in sick). Longer distances around 45.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I've ridden as cold as 5*. I had the right clothing and the roads were free of salt. It is very cold out today, but the black-top around here have turned to white-top. I won't ride until after the first significant rain fall to wash that chit off the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, here in Texas (DFW), you have to be prepared for anything (30 one day and 80 the next). Personally, if it is not "rain, snow, sleet or hail" regardless of temperature, I am on the Wing. But...that's just me

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Well, here in Texas (DFW), you have to be prepared for anything (30 one day and 80 the next). Personally, if it is not "rain, snow, sleet or hail" regardless of temperature, I am on the Wing. But...that's just me
+1

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Down to 10deg or so on the Rocket or the Wing with Gerbings gear..
Down to 50deg on the little bike (tires never get warm and are pretty slick in temps below 50..)

·
Canuck
2,746 Posts
I think it all depends on the type of protective clothing you have. I believe with the correct gear, a person could ride in very cold weather.
Dressed and geared properly, temperature almost becomes a non-issue. Like snowmobiling. However, I draw the line at salt. Salt can get into the electrics, the brakes, wheels - anywhere.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
For me, below 50 degrees is where I draw the line.
That would kill about 1/2 of the years riding for me. :p

With electric cothing I can ride in the low 30's and still have a fun ride...below 25 degree's is not so fun. The coldest I've taken a ride in was 17 degree's just to see how the electric clothing made it feel..it was alright if you really needed to travel on the Wing at those temps, but not enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
+2 With my work schedule and the crazy weather, if I waited on the "perfect" day I'd only get to ride 30 days a year.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I left to go to Daytona for Bike Week one year it was minus 4 when I left southern Indiana. That was not something I care to repeat. It didnt get above freezing until I got south of Atlanta.

Anything above 10 is fine with me (electric clothing, heated seat, heated grips and Hippo Hands)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I left my house one day with a new bike and it was 7 degrees outside. I musta been really wanting to ride. I had on electrics and mts long underwear. It was a good ride. But I think I would now limit when I ride to 35 and above.

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
I left Townsend yesterday morning, it was a warm 6 degrees and rode 600 miles to north Fl. and temp never got above 35. Can't say enough about Gerbing gear.:22yikes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Having no heated clothing, about 45 or 50 is my lower limit, don't like to have to wear so many clothes I can't move! I did take a short ride yesterday after I got my bike back together though at 39 degrees!

·
Registered
819 Posts
In my younger days, there was no effective limit. Throughout grad school, and during my first couple of years in Colorado I only had a motorcycle; no car. My wife and I showed up at a New Years party in Colorado one year when it was about -10F. No electric clothing. Rode through snow, too.

These days I don't feel like dealing with the chance of ice. 40F is about it (and I'll be wearing the Gerbing electric jacket liner). I'll go down to 30F if I'm confident there's no frozen runoff lurking around the corner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Edletsgo

Weather as to temperature is not a factor as long as the electric liner and gloves are working the hippo cover for the hands are necessary below 10 degrees.

Ed
ama
gwrra
iba
Polar Bear Grand Tour

·
Registered
270 Posts
10-15 deg f and then only when dry as I do not like black ice.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts