GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . they make liners for the saddlebags and top case but none for the rack.

I've tried to fit other manufacturers' bags on the beautiful chrome and rubber Honda accessory but there's no really good fit. My Wunderlich K1600GT horseshoe-shaped bag fits okay but isn't waterproof.

So why doesn't Honda make a top case for its rack?

I'd buy one in a heartbeat . . .

·
Registered
122 Posts
The official weight limit is paltry, so to sell one within their specs would require the bag to be embarrassingly small.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you are referring to a luggage rack bag, I don't recall Honda ever making one for any Goldwing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
. . . they make liners for the saddlebags and top case but none for the rack.

I've tried to fit other manufacturers' bags on the beautiful chrome and rubber Honda accessory but there's no really good fit. My Wunderlich K1600GT horseshoe-shaped bag fits okay but isn't waterproof.

So why doesn't Honda make a top case for its rack?

I'd buy one in a heartbeat . . .
They do It's called a Tour model.
:grin2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Slightly off topic (I realize the OP is talking about the Tour model) but Honda as a motorcycle manufacturer has a serious "Blind Spot" when it comes to attracting Harley Riders. The HD Street Glide is a very popular model among the Harley crowd for it's sleeker bagger look when not loaded up with luggage for travel.

I never once considered giving up my HD for a Goldwing until the F6B came out in 2013. The F6B was a great bike for 5 years and now we ride the 2018 Standard DCT which is a huge upgrade for rider and passenger.

But a tiny luggage rack rated for 6.6 pounds? Seriously? I pointed this out to the Dealer and the response was: If you want to actually take trips then you need to Purchase the Tour Model. I said: You mean the model with the skimpy little trunk on the back that says you can only put about 5 additional pounds on top of? That Model ??

Ultimately I went with the 2018 Goldwing Standard because I knew we could pack more on a Standard with suitable luggage rack than we could on a Tour with it's scaled down rear trunk. Same thing is true for the HD Street Glide compared to the HD Ultra Classic. Most of my friends have had both and have settled on the Street Glide.

In the end I built my own luggage rack and attached it to the same mounting points as the Honda rack that say's not to exceed 6.6 pounds. Took a 10 day, 3,000 mile round trip to Sturgis in late July. Strapped two small Wolfman dry duffel's (25 pounds each), helmets, cooler and camping stool to the rack for a total of 55 pounds. I weigh 230 pounds, passenger 120 pounds and the bike handled great even on some very rough roads we had to take in order to circumvent road construction.

I've got a couple friends right now on Street Glides that would seriously consider switching to the 2019 Goldwing Standard if Honda offered a suitable rear luggage rack for serious touring. Unfortunately I don't think Honda is ever going to figure this out or perhaps they simply don't care that they are ignoring an entire segment of riders ???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
My solution is my own version of the PAk-IT RAC. Use it for touring. Remove it for local stuff.
Never want a trailer!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

I went with this from RKA.

It was for my old 2009 BMW K1200Lt.

The back velcro straps work but the front two straps had to be extended to reach the mounts for the rack.

Big enough to hold the full cover for the bike and a couple of set of gloves.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For Honda, the low weight limits are probably more of a legal interest that a structural limitation. I believe they have determined that payload and cargo loading configurations outside of their recommendations may increase the possibility of structural damage and/or loss of control at any speed on any road the operator could reasonably encounter. It doesn't mean that exceeding these recommendations will lead to structural damage, injury, or death. Indeed, stated payload and configuration of the payload are very conservative. The collary of that is that all of us have seen bikes grossly overloaded with no apparent consequence until the rare moment that many causal factors come to bear and an accident occurs. Honda is protecting itself from the rare moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts