GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once a month I pay a visit to a nearby restaurant where a local chapter GWRRA people meet for breakfast, and have their meeting and (sometimes) go for a group lunch ride afterward.

I just wander around the parking lot, checking out all the Gold Wings, just to see what other people put on their bikes.

What I find often surprises me, for example.......

Lots of helmets, expensive jackets, gloves, etc. just sitting on the bikes.
XM radios and portable GPS units just sitting out in the open.
Sometimes, ignition keys still sitting in the switch.
No fork braces, so probably no suspension modifications.
No Mic-O-Pegs, just Kuryakyn footpegs and highway boards, and heel to toe shifters.
No car tires, just OEM tires.
LOTS OF CHROME, though!

To each, his own, I guess.
I've ALWAYS modified my bikes in some way or shape.

Oh well, just sayin'.........

·
Registered
410 Posts
They work really well as stock. I do have a CT, but other than that I'd rather spend money on gas and catch some wind and sights.

·
Registered
827 Posts
A lot of Goldwing owners have money and its just easier to replace what is stolen than to worry about locking it up. Personally I don't so I lock!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My '09 was pretty much stock for 115K just Mic Pegs, OEM passenger armrests, trailer hitch, and luggage rack. My moto was it needed to be functional. My '13 trike has Rivco pegs (the Mic O Pegs wouldn't fit) luggage rack, and Zumo. Both had CBs and the '09 was a NAVI. To each his/her own. As for the stuff on the bikes I'm guilty on some of the stuff myself. Call me stupid or trustworthy just don't call me too late for supper or late for payday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Meetings

I go to one of those monthly meetings. Goldwing owners are as diverse as the population. Each Wing is a personal statement of the owner. Some spend money to customize and others will not. Personally, I'll spend money for additional comfort, but I won't waste my money adding chrome just to add chrome. And, I would bet that someone from the group can see the bikes and if you tried to take something, you'd have a bunch of upset people suddenly all around you!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Certain places and times I'll leave my stuff out. When in groups of riders I believe most would-be thieves will stay away.

I have no fork brace but I do have a suspension upgrade. Never assume.

I don't like Mic-o-pegs and I have my Kuryakyns set up just the way I like them. I also have a seat mod. I might try a car tire some day but right now not interested - Love my Bridgestones.

I have few pieces of chrome... just to add a personal touch but I made a conscious decision to stop and keep it tasteful and balanced.

Yes, to each his own. As it should be. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You will find that most first time GW riders will add everything the seasoned GW rider (owned many GW's) Will only subtract from the first time owners -needed list, until all that is added is what is required for the GW to function as a touring MC - The less stuff added means the longer the rider has been ridding and understands what is needed :lol:

Suspension Mods Cannot be seen unless a outside sticker is added for boasting (Not be able to Hide Money) :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Different strokes for different folks ........ as it should be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Once a month I pay a visit to a nearby restaurant where a local chapter GWRRA people meet for breakfast, and have their meeting and (sometimes) go for a group lunch ride afterward.

I just wander around the parking lot, checking out all the Gold Wings, just to see what other people put on their bikes.

No Mic-O-Pegs, just Kuryakyn footpegs and highway boards, and heel to toe shifters.
LOTS OF CHROME, though!

I am a GWRRA member. We have some in our chapter that dont ride much and others that are Iron butt riders. one member has an 07 with 100k miles. He has a lot of chrome. My bike is an 09 and has 60k miles. It has a lot of chrome and a lot of suspension mods. I do usually lock my stuff though. Hard to just look at someones bike and tell how much they ride.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
LOTS OF CHROME, though!

I always lock up my helmet, jacket and anything else that could walk away.
No XM radio or GPS other than what is built in.
If my key is left in the ignition it was the result of a CRS moment!
No suspension mods unless you consider wear to be a modification.
Nope on any type of hyway pegs. Had some but took them off and don't miss them.
No car tires here.
Less chrome than when it was new. Lots of black though.

I also always modify mine too, but other than cosmetic changes, the modifications I have made are not really visible.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
They work really well as stock. I do have a CT, but other than that I'd rather spend money on gas and catch some wind and sights.
Plus there retired and don't have extra money

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
When I was in GWRRA there were members who barely got on the road and members who barely got off the road. You could not tell which bike belonged to which rider either. I was doing 20-30 thousand a year and no backrest, highway bars, or nothing. Bone stock. Just depends on your style, that's all. I've since added a backrest and Mic-O-Pegs and a lot of suspension work but hey, I'm older now! :lol: You can never judge a book by it's cover!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You will find that most first time GW riders will add everything the seasoned GW rider (owned many GW's) Will only subtract from the first time owners -needed list, until all that is added is what is required for the GW to function as a touring MC - The less stuff added means the longer the rider has been ridding and understands what is needed :lol:

Suspension Mods Cannot be seen unless a outside sticker is added for boasting (Not be able to Hide Money) :thumbup:
On my second GW, and I find the above statement to be true for me. My Previous wing had many more add-ons than I have on my second wing. I took a different approach on my second bike. Changes so far have been safety, and suspension, and functionality. I haven't added any chrome, found I don't need a backrest or risers anymore. Added luggage tie-downs for seat handles, added a TIR3 brake light, added a modulator, and upgraded to new lower tree, all-balls, and PMT's. Added accessory plugs for Gerbings. I don't have unlimited funds, so prefer to spend my money on gas than bling.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The joys of riding a GW is that you can make it as comfortable as you want... Ride all day in 100º, ride all day in the rain, ride in snow, you'll eventually make some changes. Personally, I just like to add...
AND most of the time, I leave my helmet, jacket on the bike... no problem. Depends where you are...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

LOTS OF CHROME, though!

Cause their old, if that stuff isn't out In the open they'll forget where they put it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Wing is still mostly stock. I have found a lot of the aftermarket stuff for motorcycles in general to be poorly made and cheap. Other than MAYBE a suspension upgrade, not too much else appeals to me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
GWRR member and second GW and Besides a back rest and highway pegs just about everything I put on is for safety. And I am not as trusting as some. I lock up everything.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I'm on my 4th Goldwing of the 1800 design. I know what I want and dont need. Been riding on the streets for 4 decades.

I have never used the gynecological (highway) pegs on a bike. I see riders use these things in regular in town traffic. Seems silly to have your feet so far from the controls like the brake pedal when in town.

i do lock up items or carry them: if going into a building for any length of time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts