GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got the bike last September, several people on this board suggested that the fluids be checked in case the dealer didn't top things off.
I did that. I checked everything including the final drive oil and when I put my finger in the fill hole there was oil. It wasn't dripping out but I knew it was right near the top. I even thought the oil was rather thin for final drive oil, but figured Honda put it in there, maybe it is some special oil for breaking in the final drive.
Today, with 10,000 miles on the bike, I decided to change it and get the old oil out and put in some fresh oil.
It didn't drain very long, maybe a couple of seconds, so I let it sit for over an hour.
It didn't look like much in the drain pan, so I poured it into a measuring cup, letting it sit for quite a while to drain all of it out.
I cannot believe I got less than 3 oz out of the final drive.
I refilled it and it was dripping out after I would wipe it clean, and I know it is full now.
I wonder what happened to the rest of the oil?
I am positive I checked it correctly when I first got the bike. Somehow the finger test didn't work.

The only thing I can think of is when someone gets a new bike and they remove the cap and it doesn't drip out, add some more until it does. Then you will know it is full.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
The fill amount is only 4.7 oz, after draining. I’d say you had plenty to keep it lubed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you change the oil after riding the bike to heat it up? The oil is sticky, and if not heated, you likely didn’t get it all out.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Here is the way I usually change the fluids and filters

1) Ride the bike around 30 minutes minimum to warm things up.
2) Place cardboard under bike to catch any oil drops.
3) Drain final drive into a foam cup and replace fluid.
4) Drain all 3 drain holes for engine oil.

5) Burn myself on the exhaust, spill a little oil
6) Replace Oil & Clutch filter(cuss a little)
7) Start second beer
8) Never check dipstick(I know how much oil I put in bike)
9) Never check oil--replace again 5000 miles later

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
:beer8: I like #7

If yea ever need any help I'm your man....

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Here is the way I usually change the fluids and filters

1) Ride the bike around 30 minutes minimum to warm things up.
2) Place cardboard under bike to catch any oil drops.
3) Drain final drive into a foam cup and replace fluid.
4) Drain all 3 drain holes for engine oil.

5) Burn myself on the exhaust, spill a little oil
6) Replace Oil & Clutch filter(cuss a little)
7) Start second beer
8 ) Never check dipstick(I know how much oil I put in bike)
9) Never check oil--replace again 5000 miles later

Shouldn't there be one in there about put bike on side stand and drain more engine oil (or center stand if starting on side stand)? I did my oil change on the center stand and put in 4 quarts of oil not letting those last partial ounces get out of the bottle to offset that 3.9 mark and I ended up with about a half quart to much in the engine. I was also short about that much in the 1 gallon collection jug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts