GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was hard enough trying to decide what unit to buy, but now the hard part starts. What do you need to mount and connect the unit to the bike to make a nice install. Can you start with the standard Garmin motorcycle bar mount and work from there to modify it? Some feedback would greatly help. How about posting pics of your mount systems. :p

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I used Jon's dash mount for the GPS 2610 and radar detector.

Kennedy dual set for wire hook up into intercom system. I use Edsets in my helmet

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is a picture of how I mounted my 2730. I used the RAM mount system using the brake housing clamp for the base. I liked the idea of being able to move it around and also closer to me but out of my line of sight. I used the Kennedy duo set to hook it up to my intercom and it is powered up by the ignition key. That way I can't accidently leave it on. It always comes back to where I stopped and is ready to resume after about a minute or two.

·
Registered
732 Posts
After doing research on all of the available GPS and XM radio mounts and not liking any that I saw, I stumbled onto these. I have a Garmin 2610 (which has the same case as your 2720 I think) and liked the EK mount. Mounted the 2610 on the right and the XM radio on the left. Somewhat pricey but allows me to mount my Butler Mug and radar detector without cluttering up the handle bars (with the Mug,radar detector,GPS & radio on RAM mounts) where the brake and clutch levers attach. I didn't buy Jons mount because I didn't want to punch holes in my dash. Anyway, look at the EK site and it will give you an alternative way to mount you GPS besides RAM mounts or Jons mount.
:click: http://www.electrokinetics.com/ek_gps_mount.htm

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I like the EK mount as well. This is a totally clean, unobtrusive install. I really don't like the cluttered look of all the electronics hanging off of the dash and handlebars. EK gets my vote.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
The EK mount was my choice. I'm really happy with the results. Clean, solid, out of the way, but readily available when needed.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I vote for Jons mount as you can look over it, but still look at it.

I have sat on other bikes with the other mounts and I do not like how you have to look down at the unit and somewhat remove your eyes from what is actually in front of you.

I have the Iway500 and when it is on the dash mount, it is perfect.

The EK mount is down on the handlebars either on the left or right. You are completely focusing your eyes off the road as you look at the unit. JMHO

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Dash mounts are my top choice. The driver can see the screen without looking down and the controls can be adjusted using either hand.

Second choice would be center console and last place would be out on the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've never had a problem with the placement with the EK mount. You have to momentarily take your eyes off the road to check your fuel level, radio station, speed, etc. This is no different. You shouldn't be playing with the GPS or anything else for that matter while driving. Anyway, the 2730 has voice prompts to help keep your eyes where they belong...on the road! My $.02 worth...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the EK and like it. I started with the ram mount didn't like it.
I would recomend Jons dash mount or the EK.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I use a ram mount on the right side from cycle gadgets
check out the jon dash mount
and the bar mounts-Texelent- with HAL-these are the most veritle but cost the most

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Jon's dashmount,

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com

No neeed for a Kennedy intercom interface with the 2730, the Honda AUX input can be plugged directly into the stereo output jack on the left side of the 2730.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I took CJS's advice and used the EK mount and we all know a Corona man is never wrong.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,745 Posts
I like the GPS to be in the center of the cockpit and not blocking the view of any of the bikes instrumentation. I also wanted the GPS to be close to the rider and easy to see and operate while riding with no vibration or movement in the GPS while riding.

I mounted my 2610 using a modified Ed Set Space Station in between handlebar mount with the the Garmin motorcycle mount. I have the GPS tied into the intercom with a Kennedy Single set wiring kit

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Here's another endorcement for "Jon's" dash mount. I didn't want anything on the handlebars. My 2610 is right up front, easy to get at, the proper distance for my glasses. And IMO it just seems like it belongs there, like it's part of the bike. I'm quite satisfield, it's a great product........ :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts