GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may have been answered on the old board but I am not sure.

One of my low beams points higher than the other and I am constantly getting flashed by people thinking I have my highbeams on since they see one low and one high.

A dealer told a fellow winger that this was "normal" and due to small variations in the bulbs. Can you say BS. I swapped the bulbs just to disprove this theory and sure enough, no difference.

If anyone has fixed this please provide details and pictures if possible.

Thanks

Jay

Silver 2002

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Ghost,
According to my trusty shop manual, you must first remove the "inner fairings" to access the verticle and horizontal adjusting screws for each headlight. Set the lights to full up with the knob on the left control panel and put the bike on a level surface on the center stand and reach up thru the front to get to the screws.
Hope this works for you, I haven't had to try it yet.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Actually, Silver Ghost I believe that Honda intended for the left headlight to be aimed a little higher. Every 1800 I have ever encountered on the highway has this setup. What I do is turn my electric headlight adjuster (lower left fairing panel) down a notch or two at night and put it back up to the top in the daytime.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
You don't have to remove anything. You can reach in under the headlights from the front of the bike. You use a 6mm hex wrench to raise and lower the left or right. You have adjustments on both sides.
(If you use a hex/allen wrench it's a 6mm. If you use a socket it feels like a 12mm!)

I just did mine a few weeks ago. I just sat a large piece of cardboard in front of the bike and adjusted them even.

It seems that Honda has them set up to drive on the wrong side of the road. Don't forget to do it on the centerstand! LOL...

·
Registered
84 Posts
What Red said, except I think it is a 12mm.

On the 1800 there are two white nuts under there, one for each headlight.

Just go to full-lock on the handlebars in either direction and reach right up there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
those white "nuts" can be turned with a philips screwdriver. My headlight aim was off when bike was new. I adjust them for greater visibiltiy and performance. Now, if someone can tell me how to adjust the high beams.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Head light adjustments

The head light adjustment can be done by raising or lowering the air pressure in the front tire, but it may affect cornering !! LOL

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
You might want to make sure that the electric head light adjustment is working properly ;ie both head lights are moving, at the same time. Before you make any adjustments to the settings.
Mick :yw1:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Red got it right, you can use either a 6mm hex or 12mm socket, either will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts