GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bugger! How to I get to those lower coolant hose clamps under the gas tank? I've jimmied that rubber (sheet) protector to the side, but the upper hoses/clamps seem to prevent me from getting to the lower ones. Should I completely undo and remove the upper ones to get to the lowers? Of course, I would have to drain the system first to do that, which I haven't done yet.

Fred says in his videos; "It takes 10 seconds to tighten those clamps". Well, come on over, Fred!! :lol: :lol: It may take 10 seconds to tighten them once you get to them, but getting to them is the trick.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I did find a coolant leak in a hose clamp connection just inside by the gear shifter. I had to remove the side exhaust guard to get to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I think you need to review Fred's video on removing the gas tank. There is a hose bifurcation under the tank that has been the source of small leaks for many bikes including mine. If you PM me I have a picture of the area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Winger said:
I think you need to review Fred's video on removing the gas tank. There is a hose bifurcation under the tank that has been the source of small leaks for many bikes including mine. If you PM me I have a picture of the area.
Blue Winger, I'm there, tank removed and coolant hoses exposed;


I just can't figure out how to get to the screws on the lower clamps because the upper ones are in the way, and they're not very flexible to push out of the way to get to the lowers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,946 Posts
Soloquest
thanks for the picture ! mine leaked a couple drops one day in the garage after a cold startup, the antifreeze level in the tank is still fine but from your picture i think now i know exactly where it came from, that left side easy to get to clamp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
Hello ...Once my tank was out I got to all the clamps!!! Don't remember how though (CRS) now!!!I think I had to rassle some hoses though!!!!!!!!!!....chuck..CRS= can't remember SH!#
I kinda think (UH OH ) I used some zip tyes to hold some hoses out of the way!!string to a frame rail would work also!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,852 Posts
Using both feet and both hands; Fred is a bit qicker than most of us.

I can't even count them all in under 10 minutes! The one you point ut with the red arrow seems to be pretty well exposed with the screw head righ tthere in front of you -- no? Is it the orange spot or the green spot? If its the green one, maybe it is hard to get to well enough to tighten, but maybe you can loosen it enough to spin the clamp around a bit to get better access.

There are a gang of little clamps under the tripple connecton up front under the fuel cell. The upper rear ones are a piece of cake, the lower rear tripple fitting down next to the drive shaft boot is a chronic seeper right onto the CAT and hard to get to from above, but easy to get to from below if you put the bike on jack stands and remove the coolent recovery tank.

The two large tripple fitttings are very prone to seep becasue they have rasied casting lines on their mating surfaces, all three "legs". These can be scraped of with a single edge utility blade. The clamps on mine were not even snug when at their very end, so I bought new clamp with wider range of motion.

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
That was where my leak was too! I got started, just trying to find and saw a drop like you did! I dropped everything and went inside to watch Fred remove his Tank although, I didn't remove, about halfway just enough to reach all clamps! I have not leaked since!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
I did this just three days ago so it is fresh on my mind. Soloquest already has his tank off and has showed us the picture. I think soloquests issue is that from the top (where the gas tank used to be) three hoses come together into one fitting. Those top fittings are kind of hard to get to the adjuster. I ended up using a 1/4 in drive ratchet to reach around to the back side of the hoses because the adjuster was on the bottom. Even harder to reach is the second set of hose fittings below the top set of clamps and the rubber sheet seen in Fred's photo. The shadow of Fred's index fingure is on one of the lower hoses. Freds left thumb is also over the same lower hose set.
I did consider disassembly of the upper set to get to the lower clamp set. I ended up using a nut driver and manhandled the upper set of hoses to get the nut driver to the lower set of clamps to tighten them. Luckily for me, the adjuster screws for the lower clamps were in a more convenient orientation.
In total, there were 8 hose clamps to be tightened while the gas tank is out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,396 Posts
I've been lucky on most of the 1800's issues,But this one is sure here to stay.And I''ll be doing this job shortly..
I'm also taking Fred's advice on soldering the ground connection,and the addition of the two extra grounds (Battery & Engine).
Then adjust my Cruise control,seeing the shelter will be off,and I've had my 240 watt amp sitting here for a bit,so might as well toss that in too,as well as my rear spring...

Trouble is it's always so nice to ride here,that I've been putting these things off for a bit as it is..you winter guys have snow as an excuse to get these things done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
soloquest
Fred's picture shows the bifurcation I mentioned. You will have to figure a way to tighten them as the clamps were installed in a convenient way for the factory, but not for us. If you notice any staining around the clamps or hoses that most likely is the cause of your leak. While you are in there, tighten everything. By the way, when you tighten the clamps make sure the free ends of the clamp are not in a position to rub on the tank when you reassemble. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Blue Winger said:
soloquest
Fred's picture shows the bifurcation I mentioned. You will have to figure a way to tighten them as the clamps were installed in a convenient way for the factory, but not for us. If you notice any staining around the clamps or hoses that most likely is the cause of your leak. While you are in there, tighten everything. By the way, when you tighten the clamps make sure the free ends of the clamp are not in a position that the rub on the tank when you reassemble. Good luck
Fred's picture does not show the "bifurcation" soloquest is talking about. Only the upper one can be seen. There is a second "bifurcation" below the rubber mat immediatley below the "bifucation" in the phorto. That is what soloquest is talking about. There are 8 clamps total under the tank. I can see 6 of them in the photo if you look really hard and include clamps at the lower level.

Soloquest said:
What a bugger! How to I get to those lower coolant hose clamps under the gas tank? I've jimmied that rubber (sheet) protector to the side, but the upper hoses/clamps seem to prevent me from getting to the lower ones. Should I completely undo and remove the upper ones to get to the lowers? Of course, I would have to drain the system first to do that, which I haven't done yet.

Fred says in his videos; "It takes 10 seconds to tighten those clamps". Well, come on over, Fred!! :lol: :lol: It may take 10 seconds to tighten them once you get to them, but getting to them is the trick.

Any suggestions?

....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,852 Posts
Blind Yak done hauled off 'n said; "Fred's picture does not show the "bifurcation" soloquest is talking about. Only the upper one can be seen. There is a second "bifurcation" below the rubber mat immediatley below the "bifucation" in the phorto. That is what soloquest is talking about. There are 8 clamps total. I can see 6 of them in the photo if you look really hard and include clamps at the lower level."

PigeonRoost laments; "You only wish there were just 8 clamps total. Thare at at least 7 more toward where teh rear of teh fuel tank would be that go down toward the drive shapft and then foreward to the right side of the engine -- thta includes another "biforcation" right next to the rubber drive shaft boot. There are a scad of them on the radiators and under teh front foweling -- typically smaller ones..

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone, for your help. (and your humor) I figured it out and got them all tightened, and I posted a new post about it with pictures so others won't have to go through it as hard.

Now... on to the fork rebuild and All Balls install.

Here the post:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75193
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
...... "You only wish there were just 8 clamps total. Thare at at least 7 more toward where teh rear of teh fuel tank would be that go down toward the drive shapft and then foreward to the right side of the engine -- thta includes another "biforcation" right next to the rubber drive shaft boot. There are a scad of them on the radiators and under teh front foweling -- typically smaller ones..

prs
I only know of 8 clamps that should be checked if you happen to have the gas tank out. I am not aware of any other clamps that are only accesible with removal or shifting of the gas tank, but I certainly may of missed some. Of course the bike has many more clamps that may leak that are not related to the gas tank being out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,852 Posts
Blind Yak said:
I only know of 8 clamps that should be checked if you happen to have the gas tank out. I am not aware of any other clamps that are only accesible with removal or shifting of the gas tank, but I certainly may of missed some. Of course the bike has many more clamps that may leak that are not related to the gas tank being out.
Now I see what you meant. Sorry, Pard. Those lower clamps can be accessed from the top if the tank is out, but its easier (at least for me) from the bottome with the recovery tank out and the bike on jack stands. That big lower tripple nipple arrangement leaks right onto the CAT when it drips -- stinks to high heaven.

prs
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top