GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed my OEM mufflers on my wing. The Muffler gaskets are stuck on the pipe. How the heck do i get those off? :)
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Gently with a screw driver or pocket knife.

You will need new ones anyway. So work them off with a screwdriver. Clean the pipes up with steel wool, or sandpaper and use a bit of high temp grease to hold the new ones during the installation of the new mufflers.

Depends on the mufflers, sometimes you slip the new gaskets into the mufflers, if they do not have a lip to hold the gasket, put them on the pipes and temp use a wire tire clamped tight ahead of them to hold the gasket while tapping new mufflers on with a rubber hammer, then cut the wire tire. Gently pry the muffler clamp ends a bit wider also with a large screwdriver. That way they will slip on easy.

Use a bit of anti seize on bolts and nuts and so on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These things seem really stuck to the pipe.
they dont seem to want to budge!

Gently with a screw driver or pocket knife.

You will need new ones anyway. So work them off with a screwdriver. Clean the pipes up with steel wool, or sandpaper and use a bit of high temp grease to hold the new ones during the installation of the new mufflers.

Depends on the mufflers, sometimes you slip the new gaskets into the mufflers, if they do not have a lip to hold the gasket, put them on the pipes and temp use a wire tire clamped tight ahead of them to hold the gasket while tapping new mufflers on with a rubber hammer, then cut the wire tire. Gently pry the muffler clamp ends a bit wider also with a large screwdriver. That way they will slip on easy.

Use a bit of anti seize on bolts and nuts and so on.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
With a cutting torch and a 5 pound sledge hammer! My bad! I was thinking muffler bearings!:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
These things seem really stuck to the pipe.
they dont seem to want to budge!
They can get that way, hard as a rock.

Use a small chisel or something, or the screwdriver and get a bit rough with them.

Try not to beat up the pipes, or make scratch marks past the fit area. Use a file if need be to smooth up the stuck bits , then polish them with sandpaper.

If you are careful you can cut a slot in them with a grinder or dremel drill and then chisel them off, just do not cut into the pipes.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
The only time I replace those are on a customer pay not wanting a come back. When you remove the muffler, it is best to pull it to the side spreading the pipe ends to widen them while turning the muffler to widen all 3 sections. Usually, those donuts can be reused. Try a penitrating lubricante and spray it a couple of times.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Wear gloves. Put liquid dish soap on the pipe at rear of gasket. Grasp gasket firmly, twist and pull. You may need to tap the front lightly with a split (longways) piece of PVC pipe cut with square ends to start the gasket moving. I don't remember the size I used :oops:.
Use pipe of the proper ID to closely fit the manifold pipe.
The gasket is a composite material. I re-use them a couple of times. Install as noted below. The whole trick is in using the proper tools :thumbup:.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3385815&postcount=12

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it off.. I was able to stretch out the gasket and cut it off with tin snips.. :) One came off easy. The other, not so much!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I hope you took GatorWings advice about the gloves! That sintered metal and mineral wool sure does itch down under your skin.

Those are muffler gaskets, now you know how to remove them. There are also 6 exhaust gaskets on this bike and they can be tricky to remove as well. They are "O" shaped crush type gaskets and the old ones often look like part of the heads, but they will pry out with the aid of an awl and small hammer.

prs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wore gloves. :)

I hope you took GatorWings advice about the gloves! That sintered metal and mineral wool sure does itch down under your skin.

Those are muffler gaskets, now you know how to remove them. There are also 6 exhaust gaskets on this bike and they can be tricky to remove as well. They are "O" shaped crush type gaskets and the old ones often look like part of the heads, but they will pry out with the aid of an awl and small hammer.

prs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts