GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the muffler protector on my '07 and am not exactly sure from the attached diagram where all of the fasteners are. Also, not sure what else may have to be removed to get this to come off.

I am referring to part number 14 and 31 in the attached diagram (the lower cover that has the foot warmer wings in it).

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am trying to remove the muffler protector on my '07 and am not exactly sure from the attached diagram where all of the fasteners are. Also, not sure what else may have to be removed to get this to come off.

I am referring to part number 14 and 31 in the attached diagram (the lower cover that has the foot warmer wings in it).

If I remember correctly, there are two recessed nuts about 3/4 back on the protector. There is another that has to be removed but you will also have to take the lower cowl loose to find it..............just follow to the front of the protector once you have the cowl loose and you will find the 3rd and final nut. The protector is also slid into two hook/receivers in the back but you can see to those once the nuts are removed.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have removed the two small acorn nuts from underneath the protector, but cannot find another fastener. I have also removed the hex bolt that connects to the front cowl as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just had mine off recently. You'll need to remove the front lower cowl. Then You'll need to remove a screw behind the front of the protector (you'll see it once the front lower cowl is removed). Then remove the two acorn nuts on the bottom of the cover. Pull the cover down and forward to release the tabs (there are 4 of them - 2 toward the front top and 2 @ rear). Be careful not to loose the rubber grommets on the tabs. IF you have the comfort model, you'll need to remove the screw holding the cable on and disconnect the cable form the little door.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

There are two accorn nuts (41) that must be removed.

37 needs to come off also (that one requires the removal of the lower cowling if I remember correctly)

Those are the only 3 I can remember.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have removed the two small acorn nuts from underneath the protector, but cannot find another fastener. I have also removed the hex bolt that connects to the front cowl as well.
There are several tab/grommet attachments so some force is required to pull the cover off.

Make sure you have the foot warmer doors disconnected.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

In order to remove them,The front lower cowl has to come off to gain access to the 10mm bolt that is in front of each cover,Then you remove the two 10mm each side acorn nuts and pry out the bottom of the covers to remove them from the studs where the acorn nuts were.Then slide the covers forward to get them off the Rubber vibration pads at the rear that you can't see,but are behind each cover to hold them against the muffler..

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got it off. I can see where a dealer left off a couple of rubber bumpers which explains the rattle I have been hearing. Jerks.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, next question, where do I find the part number for the little square rubber bumpers that the tabs slip into?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts