GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Audio system can be turned off by pressing and holding the centre button (loudspeaker/headset) on the console until you see a music icon with an X through it on the top of the nav screen. Entertainment Audio will be turned off but navigation commands will still be heard. Press and hold again to turn it back on.
Where did you get this info?
Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Where did you get this info?
Thanks.
Right here on this forum. A few weeks ago someone asked how to turn his audio on, as it somehow got turned off. A very wise member had the solution, I went out and tried it on my bike and I was just as amazed as you are! :sneaky:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Right here on this forum. A few weeks ago someone asked how to turn his audio on, as it somehow got turned off. A very wise member had the solution, I went out and tried it on my bike and I was just as amazed as you are! :sneaky:
Tried it on my bike, I'll be darned. :)
KUDOS to the wise member.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The July software update which added Android Auto also included the audio off feature that is activated by pressing and holding the Speaker/Headset button on the center console. This feature is not in the manual since it was just added with this update.
Where do I need to go to get this update?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Here is the link. Honda Gold Wing

You must read throughly and follow the steps exactly as shown. It’s not really hard but a lot of people have had problems by not following each step.
You might find this document useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had to go and try it and was again pleasantly surprised but now I need to try every button and every combination to find other surprises. Maybe one of the combinations brings up the Honda Maintenance Minder screen !!!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for all those that responded to my question. I find it hard to believe Honda didn't have a way to shut off the audio system. I realize it is included in the update but haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's not actually off! Turn it "off " and turn up the volume. It's still ON. It's just kinda almost muted.🤔
When you press and hold the Audio button on the center console, it will turn the audio off. You will no longer hear any radio audio even if you use the volume controls until you press and hold the Audio button on the center console to turn it back on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When you press and hold the Audio button on the center console, it will turn the audio off. You will no longer hear any radio audio even if you use the volume controls until you press and hold the Audio button on the center console to turn it back on.
Not true (at least on my bike). Hold the Audio button until off then turn the volume all the way up.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Not true (at least on my bike). Hold the Audio button until off then turn the volume all the way up.
I just tried it -- and found the same thing on mine.

If you press and hold the audio button, it displays the icon indicating music is off.

If you run the volume nearly all the way to max, the radio will come thru a little.
Volume function will not return to normal until the press and hold is repeated.

Press and hold the Source/mute button seems to give the same reduction in audio volume (at least at 'normal' volume levels).
Touching the volume lever cancels the mute function immediately.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just tried it -- and found the same thing on mine.

If you press and hold the audio button, it displays the icon indicating music is off.

If you run the volume nearly all the way to max, the radio will come thru a little.
Volume function will not return to normal until the press and hold is repeated.

Press and hold the Source/mute button seems to give the same reduction in audio volume (at least at 'normal' volume levels).
Touching the volume lever cancels the mute function immediately.
Yep, just tried it and found the same.
Turning the audio "off" is basically what the Mute button used to be on the pre 2018.
There is still some audio that comes through the speakers. I only tested it on FM, but there was certainly still audio that came through.

The new "mute" button (press and hold source) gets cancelled by changing the volume (which I think will actually save a lot of people wondering why they can't hear their radio).

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
The new "mute" button (press and hold source) gets cancelled by changing the volume (which I think will actually save a lot of people wondering why they can't hear their radio).
I had to repeat the 'press and hold' to cancel the mute, if it was selected by using the audio button. Because it didn't cancel when using the volume lever, it is possible to raise volume to near max so that some audio 'leaks' thru.

If muted using the Source/mute button on the handlbar -- operation of the volume lever immediately cancels the mute.

Both methods/buttons would to 'mute' the audio, but the technique to cancel the mute is different.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When you press and hold the Audio button on the center console, to turn the audio off, what is the point of messing with the volume button? Doesn't that just defeats the purpose of turning the audio off? :unsure:

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
When you press and hold the Audio button on the center console, to turn the audio off, what is the point of messing with the volume button? Doesn't that just defeats the purpose of turning the audio off? :unsure:
When I did it, it was out of habit.
Pressing up the volume switch will cancel the mute if the source/mute button was used to mute it. I find it quicker/easier than repeating the 'press and hold' of the handlebar source/mute button.

I was a little surprised that the volume switch method didn't work when the audio was muted by the dash button.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When I did it, it was out of habit.
Pressing up the volume switch will cancel the mute if the source/mute button was used to mute it. I find it quicker/easier than repeating the 'press and hold' of the handlebar source/mute button.

I was a little surprised that the volume switch method didn't work when the audio was muted by the dash button.
The center console method is not a mute button. If I hold the Vol button and let it go to the max (30) I can barely hear sound.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts