GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I've got a head clog. How do you clean the foam on the inside of your helmet. It does not snap out.

One of the reasons I am so keen to clean it is that I have been having some annoying itch on both sides of my face. I have not kept exact track, but it seems to not be so bothersome when we are away from home on a non motorcycle trip. :oops:

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
I mix up some Woolite. I then rub the liner down with a rag then let dry in the sun. I keep my helmets about 2 years then I have to bury them! :oops:

FYI:
My helmets just laugh when I spray Febreeze on them.... LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
HJC with snap out liner. I use Dawn dish detergent then let it dry. New liners are about $8. I have 2, a must for Florida summer riding.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Shampoo.. Go enough for your hair, non-alergenic... Works well for me!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I fill up the bathtub with dish soap and let the helmet soak for about an hour (none of my linings are removeable and I have no electrical). Give the helmet a good rinse and dry and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have a HJC with a removable liner. I use the dishwasher with Cascade and let it air dry.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I ran my Arai Classic/m through the dishwasher and let it dry outside, rotating several times. Worked great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
daddysbike said:
I use febreze air cleaner. There is one that says it disinfects, smells good too. I just spray inside of helmet and let sit over night.

Steve
Febreze isn't really a cleaner is it?

I highly recommend this stuff: Bike Brite Helmet Fresh. This stuff foams up and you wipe it out with a towel. It does leave a slight chemical smell but I usually let it sit over night.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthu ... egoryCode=

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
John Garner said:
Very simple. Buy some Silks helmet liners to wear over your head, then put on your helmet. You can then wash the liners with your other clothes.

Your helmet does not do well in the washing machine.
My helmet does OK in the washing machine. It's so loud in the dryer, though, that I have to leave the house. :shock:

:wink: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's a cloth and vinyl liner over styrafoam, not made out of candy - take out the headset/mic and put it in the sink or bath tub with a strong shampoo.

And, like Red says, buy a new helmet after a couple years. Be cheap with your chrome if need be, but not with your safety gear 'n tires...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I too use the silk helmet liners, I keep two with me at all times so if one gets real damp, I can switch and let the damp one dry in the trunk. They dry extremely fast out in the sun or in the warm/hot trunk. Just chuck em in with your laundry and I usually let em air dry. Does your helmet liner still need to be cleaned once in awhile, sure, but not as often w/the silk helmet liners. I got used to using them so for me it's just second nature putting it on before the helmet but I think it's a personal preference too what you like or dislike. Works for me though. Brian

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Try taking a couple of fabric softener sheets like you use in the dryer and placing them inside the helmet when not in use. If the helmet is not soaked with persperation (or wet inside), I put the softener sheets in the helmet and place the helmet in the carrying bag, pull the draw string tight, and voila. Of course as mentioned, it is a good idea to wash the linings sometimes using one of the methods suggested. :)

Works for me. A side benefit is that it softens your head when you wear the helmet. :roll: :wink:

Todd

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use a product called Myrazyme from a company called McNett. It is available in dive stores, camping stores and on the web. A little of the Myrazyme in a spray bottle with water and a spray or 2 at the end of the day gets rid of any odor and is dry the next morning. Actually same stuff I use on my wetsuit. Gets rid of the stink. Wow - just read the website and it says it will work on skunk. Don't doubt it.

MiraZyme - Odor Eliminator is a powerful blend of natural enzymes and microbes used to remove odors caused by mold, mildew and bacteria. The McNett Corporation has identified, separated and reproduced a unique blend of 10 naturally occurring and highly adapted enzymes, microbes and other organic ingredients designed to identify and destroy odor. MiraZyme is extremely versatile, quickly and effectively removing odor and organic debris from a wide variety of clothing, footwear, outdoor and sports gear, and more. Residues from MiraZyme are water and carbon dioxide-safe for the environment. Available in 2 oz. Blister Pack, 8 oz., ½ oz. Travel Pack, Fishbowl w/ 96 ½ oz. Travel Pack and Gallon (not shown).
MIRAZYME Directions For Use:

Use ½ oz. (15ml) Mirazyme™ for every 20 gal. (75.8L) of water. Use 1½ oz. (45ml) Mirazyme for every 55 gal. (208.5L) of water. Mix well. Unzip all garment and compartment zippers. Dip item into solution, saturating inside and out.
DO NOT RINSE. Remove item and air dry. Cap bottle tightly and store in a cool, dry place. May darken leather. Test for colorfastness prior to use.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE ON TENTS: In sink or tub, mix 2 oz (60ml) Mirazyme in 20 gal (75.8 L) of water. Turn tent inside out and unzip doors. Immerse tent in solution, saturating completely. Soak for 5 minutes.
DO NOT RINSE. DO NOT PUT TENT IN WASHING MACHINE. Remove tent and air dry.

FOR STUBBORN OR SEVERE ODORS such as pet mishaps, skunk, fish, spilled milk, farm boots and work gear: Apply Mirazyme full strength to problem area.
DO NOT RINSE. Air dry. Mirazyme may be applied with a spray bottle, mixed according to directions or full strength. Saturate item completely.

Check out their website at http://www.mcnett.com/ for more locations.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
wing-renter said:
I fill up the bathtub with dish soap and let the helmet soak for about an hour (none of my linings are removeable and I have no electrical). Give the helmet a good rinse and dry and you're good to go.

That must take a lot of dish soap!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I remove any electrics and toss the helmet in the kitchen sink in warm water with a squirt of Joy. Attack the liner with a stiff brush, rinse off and drip dry. Works everytime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts