GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first GL1800 (03) has always had a little slack in the cruise, ie, when I turn on the cruise I have to hold the throttle for 2 or 3 seconds before I let it go or the bike will slow down then speed up when the cruise finally kicks in. I have lived with the problem as its not a big deal and after reading the manual instructions they were not clear enough for me so I left well enough alone. Now I have another 03 GL1800 and it is the same so now it becomes unacceptable and I want to adjust them both. Can someone 'splain how to do this in terms which are better than the manual? Thanks guys. Reg

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
WHEN YOU SET CRUISE HIT THE RESUME RITE AWAY . WILL KICK RITE IN . THERES A VIDEO ON IT OR ONE GUYS WILL PITCH IN WITH PHOTO - WHEN YOU DO AIR CLEANER GOOD TIME TO DO . ON MY 05 ITS ON LEFT (SHIFTER SIDE ) ABOVE AIR CLEANER - YOPU'LL SEE CABLE ABOVE AND FOLLOW IT IN THERES A PART THAT HAS NOTCHES ON IT . IF ADJUST IT TO ZERO . BEEN COUPLE YEARS BUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT :shrug::shrug: ;);)

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Entertainment Video

Essentially, the cruise control cable has a little bit too much slack. The cruise servo takes a couple seconds after engaging to catch up with the current throttle position. All that is needed is to adjust the slack out. I did not do any of the looking in the hole stuff, just adjusted until I felt the cable get tight and backed off a hair. Works great now. When fixed, you will slap yourself upside the head for not fixing it a long time ago. I did!

Father's Day is coming up. Maybe somebody will be kind enough to get you this great, entertaining video set from our member Fred H. Worth every red cent if you do any of your own wrench turning on the bike, IMHO. My honey bought my set for Christmas.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html

Fred's video shows the "proper" way and a cheat way to adjust the cruise control - along with a million other bits of good info.

If you just want a few pictures to help, go to Fred's "How To" section on Air Filter Replacement here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/airfilter

16th picture in that series has his finger on the cruise cable slack adjuster.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/4587395

Hope this helps, Hoss

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
My first GL1800 (03) has always had a little slack in the cruise, ie, when I turn on the cruise I have to hold the throttle for 2 or 3 seconds before I let it go or the bike will slow down then speed up when the cruise finally kicks in. I have lived with the problem as its not a big deal and after reading the manual instructions they were not clear enough for me so I left well enough alone. Now I have another 03 GL1800 and it is the same so now it becomes unacceptable and I want to adjust them both. Can someone 'splain how to do this in terms which are better than the manual? Thanks guys. Reg
Good one Reg, putting on this bucket list for when Wayne gets back.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
See this post. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...l-adjustment&p=2701786&viewfull=1#post2701786

When I did my '02 cruise, the cable was on the right (brake) side as shown in the pic there. You can hold that plastic back with a bungee cord. My '06 was in a different spot a little more buried, but it was in the same area. I tried the line up the lines on the '06 and that got me nowhere. I just kept a 10mm and 8mm open end wrench with me on a short ride and adjusted it until it immediately engages on a press of the set button.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
cable is on rite but thought in freds video you follow it to gauge / adjustment dial is on left. have to move connector or wires out of way to see. ?nut is on rite gauge on left . good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do a internet search on it. Print it. Do it. Very easy to do. And you will like the results. Couple wrenches turn right way and your done, Makes cruise so much more enjoyable

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Reg: Should have called me. I have a neat way to do that.

Wayne (in Canada)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Reg
Which bike, FL or PE bike ? Give me a call next week and I can talk you through it. Headed to Americade tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts