GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 level 1
Can anyone tell me if you can do a rear brake pad change while the rear tire is off and the Wing is on it's side??

·
Registered
545 Posts
its almost easier to do it with the bike up on the center stand, because the caliper is on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
its almost easier to do it with the bike up on the center stand, because the caliper is on the left side of the bike.
(quote): because the caliper is on the left side of the bike.

???????????

You could do it with the bike laying down but you would need to remove the rear wheel for "much better" access... The lower pin that holds the brake pads in will be close to the ground so you may have to remove it by "brail"....

·
Registered
545 Posts
OPPS, that is correct it's on the right side, mybad

·
Registered
207 Posts
1st off stand the bike up , place on center stand, look down you will see a rubber plug pull it out and then loosen the pin and as you remove the pin get ready to catch the old pads, now compress the pistons and slide in the new pads, to make sure they are in the correct spot spin the rear wheel and if it spins free, put high temp silicone grease on the pin not on the threads just the middle of the pin , then tighten it up should be ready for another 50,000 miles or so. There are tons of u-tube vid's that will show you how to. Just changed all mine sunday. Very eazy once you see how its done.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
How do you change rear brake pads while the wing is on its side? With great difficulty.

Better to go ahead and change the pads before you lay it over.

prs

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
2012 level 1
Can anyone tell me if you can do a rear brake pad change while the rear tire is off and the Wing is on it's side??
If you need to remove any fluid from the reservoir, you can' do it with the bike on its side. But if you don't need to do that, it would be possible although I would think having the bike upright and on the center stand (or a lift) would be the easiest way to change the rear pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts