GL1800Riders Forums banner

How do you check tire pressure on a trip

4K views 56 replies 44 participants last post by  DGM 
#1 ·
I know the logical answer is get under the bike and do it. Does anybody have a special thing they do that is more convenient than going into a gas station, laying on a greasy surface, checking the pressure then using the gas station air.

I know somebody must have a trick.

#5 ·
My method may be a little overkill for some, but it works for me.

I do my tire checks where and when I choose. I do have to lie down behind the bike, but I merely hook up the hose from the on-board compressor in my Tailwind trailer. The air chuck even has a built-in pressure gauge so that I can both check and fill in one easy step. No filling station or convenience store compressors needed.

Like I say, this works for me.:yes1:

Glen

#6 ·
Man I may have to BORROW, (CONFISCATE) one of TIMS EXTRA WINDS so it can work for me also. I still do it the redneck way down here in the swamplands. I always have someone stand GATOR watch...

#7 ·
Man I may have to BORROW, (CONFISCATE) one of TIMS EXTRA WINDS so it can work for me also. I still do it the redneck way down here in the swamplands. I always have someone stand GATOR watch...
Earnhardt, I'm further down into the swamplands than you! It's an oft-quoted "fact?" around here that we have more gators than people.

By the way, I was digging around on the Classifieds board looking for a rear end and rear wheel for sale when I came upon a post saying that you usually have a rear drive available. My Goldwing is presently in the shop having the rear drive rebuilt under warranty, but when it gets out I'll be wanting to get a spare to hang in my garage. I'll holler at you pretty soon, and if you have one I'll take a little ride up country and see you.

Glen

#10 ·
Front tire is no problem, back tire requires you to get down on the ground, NEVER use a TPMS to check the air in your tires, most of them are off a couple of pounds, they are good to let you know if your getting a flat while your riding but I would NEVER use one as an accurate gauge.

#11 ·
Front tire is no problem, back tire requires you to get down on the ground, NEVER use a TPMS to check the air in your tires, most of them are off a couple of pounds, they are good to let you know if your getting a flat while your riding but I would NEVER use one as an accurate gauge.
I have several different tire gauges and only two of them are the same as each other. If you use your tpms correctly and the pressures remain the same the air pressure is the same.

Not sure if what I am trying to say is clear. If I check my tire with a gauge and it reads 38 lbs and then I screw the cap to the tpms on and it reads 39 lbs. Next day the tpms reads 39 I am pretty sure the tire hasn't lost any air. It works for me.

#12 ·
I have several different tire gauges and only two of them are the same as each other. If you use your tpms correctly and the pressures remain the same the air pressure is the same.

Not sure if what I am trying to say is clear. If I check my tire with a gauge and it reads 38 lbs and then I screw the cap to the tpms on and it reads 39 lbs. Next day the tpms reads 39 I am pretty sure the tire hasn't lost any air. It works for me.
:agree:My TPMS is right on with my Accu-gage tire pressure gauge and a digital Slime pressure tester. Even if the TPMS is off a couple of lbs then I would compensate for it when checking pressure.

#13 ·
TireGuard... v2 ... works great! :thumbup:

It is always within 1-2 lbs of either of my two digital gauges which read the same as an expensive calibrated gauge I bought for the airplane.

Most of the air lost in my tires was from constantly checking the tires.
.. now, I don't have to add air more then once a month.

Jan K...
get yourself one of the new TireGuards...
.. screw the sensor caps on and then stick (velcro) the display behind the brake reservoir..
... DONE.

.. make sure you've replaced the OEM rubber stems with steel ones
(I still have some "Patchboy" stems if you need some).

Dennis

#16 ·
Regular old tire guage.

I use a small blue tarp from Harbor Freight. Folds up flat into a real small package. Big enough to keep your clothes clean. Only a couple bucks.

Old stubby bicycle pump from Walmart. It's small and only weighs couple pounds. Nice little foot pumper and you don't need any electricity.

#18 ·
Doran TPMS, and wouldn't be witout it!
Be careful relying on your TPMS to provide accurate pressure. I also have the Doran TPMS, and the original sensors did, in fact, provide readings that matched exactly to two independent pressure guages. I have had to replace the sensors (batteries in the originals wore out) and the new ones are always a couple of pounds off. Once you know the error, and confirmed that it is consistent, you can again rely on the readout to check the tire pressure.

#19 ·
Hi use my bike cover, a touring size Nelson Rigg, folded longways. lay on it to check the pressure and for nails etc. I like the blue tarp idea from Harbor Freight. thanks for that tip

#21 ·
I just lie on my side the same as I do in the garage. I generally try to park where it is not all oily, muddy, or such. I use a Dunlop give-away stick-type that still compares correct to my test gauge. I store it in the left pocket so it stays clean and dry. Little Walmart compressor adds air if on the road. I don't try to keep my riding gear clean. It gets rain, bugs, oil, tree sap, etc. on it, so why worry about a little dirt off the parking lot?

#24 ·
Why is everyone lying down to check pressure?

I just get on my knees and reach in with the gauge. I use a Slime digital gauge, which holds the reading for about 90 seconds.

Same thing to add air, just reach in and push the chuck onto the valve stem.

#25 ·
This works for me. To do the rear wheel put the bike on the center stand, Fold up the left passenger floor board. Knell down on the ground and put your left shoulder on the rear crash bar. This helps support me while leaning over and check the tire pressure.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.