GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Utopia backrest and it causes my back to sweat profusely. Have any of you solved this problem? Any and all suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ive never had that problem, it might be because I have it set so that unless I lean back a little I dont have any pressure on it. On a trip, I will lean back and rest on it but it is for not permanently against my back all the time that Im riding.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
That's the problem I had years ago, so found it much better not to use a backrest.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I stand up on the pegs for a short while and air cool it...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That's the problem I had years ago, so found it much better not to use a backrest.
Isn't that like "throwing the baby out with the bath water"? :grin:

My back hurts too much to go without the Utopia. Sheepskin, adjustment, position change, beads.... all will work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Beads on the backrest...

Why you ingenious bast##d you! I'll have to give that a try!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
IM gonna get beads for my seat and backrest.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same problem, until I found out that Hartco make a custom fit sheepskin cover for the Utopia backrest. Ordered one and problem solved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife can sew and has a machine. She took a black terry cloth bath towel, cut pattern out to overlap edges a couple of inches. Then folded edge over and sewed a draw string channel all the around with a little gap at bottom to pull and tie string.
Works great and just take off when washing bike or it needs washing itself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey team, thanks for all the replies and great ideas. I will check into the Hartco cover, sheepskin, beads, and terry cloth cover. For you guys/gals that have the beads, were did you buy them, or did you have to modify something else (ie, seat beads), and if you did how did you go about it. Thanks again for the ideas. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I've never had that problem, but then I always wear a mesh jacket in summer weather and it keeps it ventilated back there. Walmart sells a bead cover for cages that can be custom fit to just about everything with a little fishing line (I'd use braided so the knots are easier).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ttt

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
I would not have a back rest for free

1 - 20 of 32 Posts