GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I put on my pretenza well over a year 1/2 ago and it has just over 22,000 miles I can find no sign of wear, bulges, mars and it looks just like new except for all the small rocks that get stuck to the tread.<br>
<br>
How many miles do you go before you just put on a new one?<br>

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Most of us change when we reach the wear bars or the edges are gone. As for Murgie, he changes when he changes his oil. :shrug: ;)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Change it out now. I think 20,000 is just about the limit for most riders. Mergie only goes 30 miles an hour. He loves school zones.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
CHANGE IT AFTER YOU WEAR IT OUT !!!!!!!!!!!! SOME GET 30,000 PLUS OUT OF TIRES-DEPENDS ON TIRE/RIDING STYLE/ ROADS ETC. UNLESS GOING ON 10,000 MILE TRIP WOULD LEAVE IT ALONE.YOUR DIME !!!!:bow:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I changed my Michelin out at 24,000 miles and it wasn't quite to the wear bars because I had a trip coming up. The Yoko I have now only has about 3,000 on it. YMMV

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It's done. Take it off and send it to me to dispose of for you...

No need to thank me.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
watch the wear bars. and watch the edges of the tread closely on a tire with that many miles. if going on a long trip, go ahead and change now.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I don't think Murgie can get 3600 - 4400 out of an oil change :shrug: :lol:
Most of us change when we reach the wear bars or the edges are gone. As for Murgie, he changes when he changes his oil. :shrug: ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
tire replacment

Ok I put on my pretenza well over a year 1/2 ago and it has just over 22,000 miles I can find no sign of wear, bulges, mars and it looks just like new except for all the small rocks that get stuck to the tread.<br>
<br>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As I am on my first car tire, I want to see how far it will go . And as a slab rider, that may be a long time...*smile* I am looking for about 26K....I will report....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So riding all winter for two years in flat straight so texas makes tires last forever?
No. But it will seem like forever.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just changed my Potenza with 26k to a Yoko. Mainly changed to Yoko for a Runflat. Like that extra margin of safety. That new tire feel is hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Depends on your riding style. Murgie has a terrible palsy syndrome in his right wrist, tends to make for a full-throttle situation constantly. If you're in Texas the tire will dry-rot and heat crack before it wears out ;-). Biggest thing you need to be aware of and look out for is the wear on the side of the tire. My last tire looked good on the main section of the tire, but I wanted to change it out before going to the Dallas IBA ride. When I pulled the tire and got a good look at it, you could tell the edges were scrubbed enough to warrant replacement before I would have finished the 3600 miles I put on during the trip.

But changing a tire just because of mileage - no. Change it when the wear indicates the need, or if you are noticing other issues such as dry rot cracking, bulges, big gaping nail holes, etc..

But as noted earlier - maybe your tire is done for - and needs to be sent to me for proper disposal. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Change Tires

I think there are a number of things that help you to decide when to change tires. wear bares are one, cupping is another, a loud humming because of cupping. If you stay close to home. I take a long trip every summer 7 to 10,000 miles. I always leave with new or good rubber. I will change a tire that still has 7 or 8 thousand miles left to leave with a new tire, it just safer. I have quite a few tires in the barn with a lot of life left. It works for me. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
<br>
Miles vary greatly with rider , to answer question in better terms . Wear bars are indicators of 2/32 tread depth left . At this point as soon as they start to wear or touch wear bars the tire is taken off . Unless the edges are wore smooth than it's also time to go .

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Even with all this info, you have to be your own judge as to when they need changed out. The tire in the picture below is tread 3/32" deep. When I had left the house one day earlier than when that photo was taken, it had 5/32" of tread. Well romping in the VA mountains, including Hungry Mother VA Rt 16 (back of the dragon), it ate the important stuff off my [email protected] : :shock:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts