GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to add a sport tourer to my garage, and maybe to downsize from the GL1800. So if you don't mind, I'd welcome input from other ST1300 owners who have the GL1800 parked in the garage as well.

How does the ST1300 fare on long two-up rides?

Is there an aftermarke cruise control that works well on the ST1300?

Did you compare the ST1300 to a BMW R1200RT? Yamaha FJR?

What are the ST1300's weaknesses?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
BikerMike said:
It's time to add a sport tourer to my garage, and maybe to downsize from the GL1800. So if you don't mind, I'd welcome input from other ST1300 owners who have the GL1800 parked in the garage as well.

1. How does the ST1300 fare on long two-up rides?

2. Is there an aftermarke cruise control that works well on the ST1300?

3. Did you compare the ST1300 to a BMW R1200RT? Yamaha FJR?

4. What are the ST1300's weaknesses?

Mike
1. Don't know - always solo.
2. Yes... visit ST-owners.com and search for "cruise"
3. Yes, Kind of. I had one of the first FJRs on order in this area when they first came out. I refused to take delivery on it because it felt "small", even though it had gobs of power.
4. I never could get comfortable enough on the ST to call it a long distance bike. Three seats, pipes, pegs, risers... none did it for me. I sold it about eight months ago.

The ST is a very fun bike... handles the curves well and has a top end of about 150. :oops: It just wasn't comfortable for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The ST is a nice bike. My wife has one. It is very warm in the summer. The heat boils off the "V" cylinder heads and tracks back down the contour of the tank. It does not have the pop of an FJR (my bike) but I would not hesitate to ride one. The windshield gives good protection and the electric adjust is something the wing should incorporate. I don't find it as comfortable as my FJR on long rides. I got a bad case of monkeybutt when I was bringing it back from the dealer. I put Helibar risers on it for my wife and a Corbin seat. It's a tall bike for a woman. I took the bike to Traxxion and had them lower it 1 1/2 inches by putting on a Penske shock and sinking the forks into the triple tree.

Hope that helps...my fingers hurt now.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I had a ST1300 for 18 months (had the GW 12 of those months as well). I then sold the ST and bought a FJR which is now about 8 months and 9,000 miles old.

I liked the ST to a point, but it was not sporty enough for me. Interestingly, the FJR is more comfortable on a long ride (stock seats on both). The ST is extremely well built and capable, but just did thrill me the way I wanted.

I will say this, there were many days I rode the GW 150 miles, then immediately got off it and rode the ST. The ST feels like a crotch rocket after getting off the GW. It's just that the FJR does even omre so.

I would not tell you not to get a ST if you are drawn to it. It was a fine ride. Just a matter of persaonal priorities whether you would like the FJR or ST better. For me it's the FJR. But I enjoyed the ST every time I rode it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
BikerMike said:

How does the ST1300 fare on long two-up rides?

Is there an aftermarke cruise control that works well on the ST1300?

Did you compare the ST1300 to a BMW R1200RT? Yamaha FJR?

What are the ST1300's weaknesses?

Mike
As for long rides I think how much you weigh is important. My wife and I are big folks and the ST is not our two up bike. It's not bad but it's not good at our size. If we were 20 years younger and lighter it would be like a wing.

There are a couple of cruise control units available.

A lot of riders say that the ST is hot on their feet and ankles. I personally do not feel any heat. It is a lot like the overheating wing issue in that some folks are obsessed by it and others say what heat. I do not have many complaints about the ST. If you fit on it you will like it and if you do not you might try another bike. A lot of people like the FJR but it did not fit me well.

Good luck with your bikes,

·
Registered
598 Posts
I traded up from an 03 ST1300, for me the 06 GL1800 is a MAJOR improvement. I would not go back to the ST period. I was never comfortable on the ST, 3 seats, stock, modified stock, custom Russell. Felt top heavy, hard to get off of the side stand, the GL is easier. Could just barely get my feet on the ground, HOT, noisy and I never liked the way it cornered, It seemed like you had to fight it into a corner, I just think the GL into a corner and it goes. The wife is much more comfortable on the GL.

For us, the wing is much more comfortable on day trips, the ST wore us out.

The wind noise is a real problem in my opinion.

Sorry that I did not answer the question exactly like you posed it but if you really want a comfortable Sport Tourer keep the wing.

Wayne

·
Registered
325 Posts
I sold my 2003 ST1300 and purchases my 06 GL1800 in July of this year. I very seldom ride two up. I had the ST for about two weeks after I bought the wing. I don't think you can compare the two. The ST does feel top heavy compared to the Wing. However, if you are keeping the wing and just adding a second ride I think the ST would be a good choice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, Mike, I added an '05 ST to compliment, not replace, my '04 Wing, so I don't know whether my perspective is relevant to you. But maybe my rationale will be a little bit relevant at least.

I enjoy the Wing for two-up long distance touring with my wife. But the Wing is, for me, a handful when it is fully loaded with luggage and a passenger. Going uphill on very tight switchback turns, fully loaded, requires more skill than I have, to do it with ease and grace. It's a handful. I tell myself that this is only natural. A combined weight -- vehicle, luggage and passenger -- of well over 1,100 pounds has got to be a handful, right? It only stands to reason. Laws of physics and all that.

So, being the former owner of two ST1100s and a few sport bikes, I hankered for that greater degree of agility and flickability that the Wing, under fully laden conditions, just cannot provide. But I bought the ST for solo touring, not for two-up riding at all. And under these circumstances, I've been happy with my decision. I know other ST'ers who have used the bike for very satisfactory two-up camping tours. But I kept the Wing for that sort of experience. The ST for me is something reserved for solo rides with no more luggage than I can stuff into the saddlebags and one duffle bag strapped across the rear seat. And then it is fully satisfactory. The supension is a bit too non-compliant over bad road surfaces, for my taste, and, yes, the wind roar caused by the windshield and fairing design is not as quiet as that of the Wing, but most of the time I find these factors acceptable.

The most important thing is that the ST, in comparison to the Wing, feels like a lighweight -- agile, flickable and quick. A true pleasure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put 25k on an 05 ST1300 in 18 months and loved every mile of it :wink: The best cruise for the ST is McCruise... plug and play built just for the ST www.spoiledbiker.com , Joe will take care of you.

The stock seat will have to be replaced... for two up, you will need a backrest or topbox. Autocom for communications... it's the best.

The FJR gives you a little more ponies... the BMW gives you a boxer. You need to demo them all, two up. Remember, if she ain't happy... nobody is happy :lol:

Checkout www.st-owners.com for any and all ST1300/ST1100 questions you may have.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
sherob said:
.... Remember, if she ain't happy... nobody is happy :lol: ....
Boy, ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My wife is a little more comfortable on the GL, but not a lot, and so being as nice as she is, doesn't mind staying on the ST. Just as long as there is a top box (trunk) back there, and I'm in front, she is happy.

There is an aftermarket cruise contol you can get from Audiovox (the CCS-100), new for at or under $100.00, depending on where you get it.

I thought the FJR was too small for me, especially if I put my wife on the back! Did not consider a BMW due to the lack of dealers in my area and the cost to maintain it. Even know a former BMW club president that sold his beemer due to the maintance cost and got an ST.

Weakness; the ST does not have the alternator of the GL, so you must manage your add on stuff appropriately (I have LOTS of stuff on my ST), but manage just fine. I wish the ST had an "OD" light indicator.

The ST is quick, handles easily in the twisties (much more so), extremely fun to ride! I love the electronic windshield, but wish that the OEM shield was a tad bit wider, thus, I put on an aftermarket shield on and am very pleased, more so than on the GL.

On the ST, you do lean forward more, more like a sport bike. I put on handlebar risers on and feel almost like on a GL, but not a straight up. This, IMHO, is good, as when on the GL, I would have a tendenacy to slouch down and get a sore back, and I needed the backrest on the GL. On the ST, I do NOT need the backrest. Some folks think that those that ride bicycles where they lean forward must have a sore back, NOT SO. As long as you get a bicycle that is the correct size, it is very comfortable. For me on the ST, the issue was the leaning forward on the stock bar angle, I had too much pressure on my wrist, the leaning forward was fine otherwise. With the bar risers, I'm not leaning forward near as much, the pressure is off my wrist, but I'm leaning forward enough that it keeps my back posture perfect.

As for leg comfort, neither the GL or the ST had enough for my knees, so on both, I had to add aftermarket gear to stretch out for those all day rides. My knees feel just as comfortable on my ST with aftermarket pegs as on the GL (which also had aftermarket pegs).

As for long distance riding, NOT A PROBLEM on my ST, I LOVE IT!

Hope this helps, good luck which ever route you take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts