GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really thinking about buying a Uni-Go. I have search for threads on the Uni-Go but have had limited success. I did find a few threads about some problems with supply issues and some quality problems from one member, but it seemed like all was taken care of. There was also a issue with wheels or castings or something?

Has all the problems been taken care of?

Would you buy a Uni-Go trailer again if you had to replace your trailer?

How does the Uni-Go pull and how is it in parking lot maneuvers? Can you lean the bike over any when you are making a u turn without scraping the trailer on the ground...how is it backing up with a Uni-Go?

I've alway liked the Uni-Go. I have never had a problem taking everything I need for two on a ten day trip with just loading up my saddlebags and trunk, but we have never had a place to put our riding jackets when we needed to take them off...she always has to hold our jackets in her lap and it would be nice to put the weight of the luggage in the trailer and off of the bike. The Uni-Go seems like it would be perfect for my needs and I really like how you can roll them into the motel room and leave them in the room instead of chaining a trailer up outside to whatever you can while you ride around the area without the trailer.

So what do you guys that own the Uni-Go think after owning them for awhile. It would be nice to see some pictures.

Uni-Go web site is very nice and I like how you can buy every replacement part for the trailer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Have a friend of mine that just had his frame break in half. Got it replaced under warranty, but they gave him a hard time and didn't want to.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Very pleased with mine. No handling issues. Backing up anything for me is a challenge.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a friend of mine that just had his frame break in half. Got it replaced under warranty, but they gave him a hard time and didn't want to.

That doesn't sound good...was it a NZ model or the American model?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had an NZ model for -2- years. I still have the pieces after the L-shaped attachment bracket snapped @ the 90.

I now have a Quantum GL. The workmanship on the Bushtec is as good as it gets. The workmanship on the UNI-GO made me wonder how it was allowed to be imported into the U.S.A.

As far as backing the UNI-GO that was also a challenge. It is short and that alone made it jackknife fairly easily. The Bushtec is longer and therefore easier to back-up. I would often just get off the bike and slide the UNI-GO into position to facilitate backing up.

The only advantage that the UNI-GO had was that it could be taken into a hotel room. Big Deal!

In my opinion, Bigger is Better. The single wheel trailer is more of an oddity than a functional improvement.

Handling is like they say, both for the UNI-GO & the Bushtec..."You don't even know it is back there"

I have pulled trailers behind bikes for about 80,000 miles.

Other problems with the UG...poorly cast wheel. The first one rubbed holes in the tire. The replacement wheel was so poorly cast that the wheel bearings would fall out.

Maybe the American produced UNI-GO is improved, but why bother...it's too small anyways.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I've had a couple of trailers, including home made, and have used my NZ. UniGo more than any of them,by a long shot. It does everything my other trailers have done only better. That includes a 10K, one month trip, 2up, in 2004.You are never over loaded with a UG.You seldom see that with a 2 wheel trailer. If you can't put it on the bike or in the UG,you don't need it.
As far as backing is concernd, if you get screwed up, just pick it up and move it a little bit.
:thumbup:
Mick

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an NZ model for -2- years. I still have the pieces after the L-shaped attachment bracket snapped @ the 90.
You wouldn't have a picture of that failed part would you?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had my NZ Uni-Go for 4 years now and never had a problem. Nothing cracked, no problems backing up, finish and workmanship are excellent.
It only weighs 70 pounds empty and I have carried it up the stairs to my motel room.
As for handling, you can scrape your pegs, and the centre stand and the UG does not touch the ground. It does not interfere at all with handling.
To me the single wheel is a functional improvement, because the trailer tracks with the bike and follows the same line through the corners.
I have never had the hitch bind when turning tight corners or doing u-turns.

So yes, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts