GL1800Riders Forums banner

How quickly do you work the clutch LEVER?

• Up or down, I shift as quickly as possible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up and down, I shift slow and easy.

• Up fast, and down slow with my clutch lever.

• Up slow, and down fast work best on my bike.

• I don't know. I don't evey think about it any more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fumble fingered old #art, but I do try to operate the clutch so my wife doesn't smack her forehead on the back of my helmet. I have found, strangely enough, that up shifting as quickly as possible (not short shifting, but preloading the shift lever, then working the clutch and throttle quickly) results in less helmet banging. I DON'T do that when down shifting. So, that makes me wonder what everyone else does, and how well it's working for them. So, please take my poll and tell me what works for you.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
What poll?? :shrug:

I'm a fumble fingered of #art, but I do try to operate the clutch so my wife doesn't smack her forehead on the back of my helmet. I have found, strangely enough, that up shifting as quickly as possible (not short shifting, but preloading the shift lever, then working the clutch and throttle quickly) results in less helmet banging. I DON'T do that when down shifting. So, that makes me wonder what everyone else does, and how well it's working for them. So, please take my poll and tell me what works for you.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
gently roll off the throttle so your speed is steady and not accellerating, then pull in clutch and roll on throttle easy like

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, Larry. It took me a minute to fill out the Poll Form. You should see the poll now. I hope you'll vote.

·
Registered
541 Posts
These Goldwings can be very very smooth shifters with a just a bit of practice and touch... and basically the ride is only as smooth as one makes it. If you hit that throttle too hard, and come off too hard for a shift, my guess is it will bonk a helmet or 2.. but a very smooth roll-on, and let-off will yield a very smooth ride. They are sensitive to this.. as you're aware.. and its not always easy..

There are variables sometimes too, like when there's alot of stuff happening in traffic and we can't totally concentrate on the shift.. by all means..don't worry about the shift at that point..just stay safe of course.. but in most cases.. a very gentle wrist, and left foot, and the timing will give you smooth shifts nearly every time..

This is what I try to give myself and my passenger anyway. I accelerate as smoothly as I can.. from the point the wheels roll.. I decellerate as smoothly as I can.. until the point the wheels stop... and when upshifting.. same applies... don't come off the throttle so quick.. just smoothly the "R's" fall... and then when its up in the next gear.. don't go for the Indy win.. just let it build.. wait for it... wait for it... wait fo... Try that and just be patient with it.

We all know these bikes have an extreme amount of power .. no question there.. the challenge is making that power work as smooth and gentle as possible.. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I've found that up-shifting at the exact instant you quickly pull in the clutch results in a smooth, non-clunking shift. If you hesitate with the shift after pulling the clutch, you get a clunk, especially when going from 1st to 2nd. When I let out the clutch, I hesitate at about half way, and this allows the gears and the drivetrain to fully engage and load before I fully release the lever, and that makes for smooth acceleration.
Lots of practice....maybe 200 miles worth of practice every day :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Speed-Shift, and she won't have time to bang her helmet against yours.

Honestly, it's something I seldom think about.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
"How quickly do you work the clutch LEVER?"

But the survey has to do with shifting ... I'm really confused !!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm a fumble fingered old #art, but I do try to operate the clutch so my wife doesn't smack her forehead on the back of my helmet. I have found, strangely enough, that up shifting as quickly as possible (not short shifting, but preloading the shift lever, then working the clutch and throttle quickly) results in less helmet banging. I DON'T do that when down shifting. So, that makes me wonder what everyone else does, and how well it's working for them. So, please take my poll and tell me what works for you.

you speak of the clutch lever but then the poll is referencing the shift lever. Two very distinct and different pieces of equipment. I knew what you meant of course.

However, for smooth shifting it's not so much how you use the shift lever but how you use the clutch. whatever you do, don't dump, drop or let go of the clutch too fast. EASE it out. And.. once you get up to speed and shifting thru 3rd, 4th, and into 5th it will become easier and easier and quicker. 1st to second and into 3rd should be your smooth shifts into and thru the "friction" zone.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
19,102 Posts
I pull the clutch in with my left hand and let it out after I shift

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Friction zone, it is all about the friction zone... and I don't mean the magazine.. although I kinda like it..

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
1) Roll off the throttle as the clutch is squeezed

2) lift the shift lever firmly as far as it will go

3) smoothly ease out the clutch and adjust the throttle.

Once the shift is completed, release the shift lever to permit it to reset for the next shift.

I can do these steps at any speed. It's not about how fast you do it, it about doing it in the proper order and doing it smoothly. Coordination between the clutch and throttle is important. I tell folks it's like wringing out a wet rag.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I usually operate my clutch with my left hand...unless I use my left foot or my teeth when I'm showing off.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you don't want your wife to smack the back of your helmet.. try this
however much throttle you give it let it wind out completely then shift... Smooth as Silk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts