GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been on a few trips across the country. Ranging from a 1 to 2 weeks. Just wondering how everyone else packs. This has worked for us so far.

Trunk is for my wife. Clothes in a duffle bag. Small purse. Small makeup bag. Camera, flipflops

Right saddlebag is for me. Clothes in ziplock style travel bags from Walmart.

Left saddle bag is for running shoes, air comp, whatever else fits

Trunk rack bag has rain gear, sweatshirts and jackets if not being worn. Chaps on top of the bag with a mesh net. No trunk lid cracks yet.

Lockable dash storage has important papers, leatherman,

Ipod, billfold, etc in left dash storage.

If heading to relatives we send a box ahead for extra clothes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I'm thinking of getting a trailer this spring. Wrinkled tshirts don't bother me but it sure upsets my wife.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wife takes the left bag, and I take the right bag. We use the trunk for shared space, camera, bike cover and other misc stuff.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
When we have firm reservations, ie R-G, we arrange things with the motel then ship them. For the return trip we ship the dirty clothes and all souveniers, along with anything else not needed. We have a Pak-it-Rak type unit and it usually has all of the weather related gear and anything else that we can stuff in it. She claims a rear bag and I get the other, and the center bag holds the laptop and all other miscellany. We need a toy hauler!:lol:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I get one saddlebag, she gets the other. We us the trunk for computer, her purse and other big stuff. Trunk rack bag for light stuff(rain gear , sunscreen etc). Hitch bag for tennis shoes, dirty clothes, curling iron and anything else she wants.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Right bag her stuff / cosmetics
Left bag boots, shoes, small heavier stuff
Trunk small cooler, purse, stuff I'd like to have handy
Rack Bag rainsuits, sweatshirts, light fluffy stuff
Pak-it Rak Hotel stuff, clothes, undies, my "cosmetics"

The Pak-it Rak is perfect if a trailer isn't quite where you want to be yet. A couple of extra cubic feet really solves a lots of storage issues.

I try to leave some space for jackets or whatever she wants to buy along the way.

Dave GWBBA #9

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have the three oem honda bags. I get one side, she gets one side. We split the trunk with a little room for first aid kit etc (what that really means is she gets more room for shoes) We also have Kury luggage rack bag that I put our frog toggs,coats or liners in...anything that we need to get to in a hurry.
It's plenty for four days or so.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Wife gets trunk and 1 saddle bag. I get the other bag. Rack is used for light stuff, such as coats.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Longest trip I did so far was my IBA to NJ, and a 12 day visiting around NJ, MD, VA/WV...I use the right saddlebag for tools, bike cover, compressor, etc.; the left saddlebag is for heavy jackets, Gerbings if not wearing, extra layers of clothing, extra boots, etc.; trunk carries my grooming bag, medical stuff, hat and my everyday bag. My clothing was in another bag on the rear seat...Sheesh, just me and I practically need a trailer!! :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
We are constantly revising the list and location of items, but this is a general idea.:shrug:

Left saddle bag is for my clothing and tool kit, right is for her clothing.

Trunk gets miscellaneous items like Scotch, wife's purse, bathroom items (tooth paste, shampoo, deodorant, hair brush, makeup, etc,), camera (if she is not carrying it), tire repair, binoculars, reading material, food, etc.

Rack bag gets rain gear, change of shoes, running shoes, and many other odds and ends of things we have found are nice to have along.

Tank bag gets maps, revolver, money (split with the wife's purse) credit cards, hand held computer, wet wipes (for those inconvenient moments at rest stops) and other small items needed quickly.
:yes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
The trailer is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Never run out of space for the wife and I. Lift the lid and throw it in. No need to roll it up and squeeze it in to zip lock bags. Hook it up and don't even know it's back there. Only way to go for me and the little lady.:coffee1:

·
Vendor
21,413 Posts
You guys spoil yer wimen way too much.

I hand my wife one very small bag that goes in the right side saddlebag (and doesn't even fill it up all the way), and I tell her she can bring anything she wants, as long as it fits in that bag. We travel three weeks two up like this all the time. The trunk is for heated liners and FrogToggs and laptop and maps etc. Things I need quick access to go in the trunk. Left saddlebag is for my clothes and tools and windsheild cleaning stuff.

We do laundry about every third day on the road, so we really only need two changes of clothes in addition to what we have on.

I learned LONG ago, that you have more fun when you travel light.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I have only been away for three days max. I am venturing out on longer runs so am looking at a trailer. Only if they were not so darn expensive

·
Vendor
21,413 Posts
I have only been away for three days max. I am venturing out on longer runs so am looking at a trailer. Only if they were not so darn expensive
Y'all are taking WAAAY too much STUFF!!

I can travel from coast to coast for three weeks, two-up, without even so much as a luggage rack, and with only what will fit in the saddlebags and trunk. And that even includes taking a laptop and a video camera and all the hardware to support them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Packing

Yep, my wife and I have been really conservative on what we take since we started riding in '04. That all changed when we decided to get a trailer. We ended up with an Aluma last fall. Ended up having $1395 in the new trailer and $400 in a Bustec hitch/instal.

In September, October '08 we completed an 8 state, 8K mile, 30 day trip. It was great! First time dragging a trailer. Didn't know it was there. The only thing we noted was instead of getting 43-45 mpg we got 40-42 mpg. It was nice to fire up the stove, make coffee or fire up the grill and do a "tail gate" BarBQ while at the motel/hotel. A week of changes + having the ability to take our leather coats, mesh coats, Gerbings vests, slippers, tennis shoes, house coat, etc.

Tommorrow we will leave Alaska for Arizona where our wing is stored and head to the West Coast and do the 101. We should have purchased a trailer long ago...

Be safe...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Tell the babe to ride her own bike.... works for me.:thumbup:

Then you have more room than you know what to do with....

I will agree, if we only road one bike, we'd have to have a trailer...

·
Registered
800 Posts
I get right saddlebag (Honda luggage bag), wife gets trunk (Honda luggage bag), soft side cooler in left saddlebag, Rivco rack bag gets all extra stuff (rain gear, extra shoes, 1/2 cover, first aid kit, camera, ..........)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts