GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To program my Garmin 376C, I use mapsource, then download it to the GPS. I can fine tune a route and enter side trips and so on.
With the built in GPS on the Goldwing, how do you create a route? Can you do it on a desktop or laptop and download it to the unit? Does it only allow point A to point B. Do you have to skid the cursor all around the screen finding waypoints for side trips? What's the scoop?

JLK

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
... With the built in GPS on the Goldwing, how do you create a route? Can you do it on a desktop or laptop and download it to the unit?
No, there's no external route-planning capability yet
Does it only allow point A to point B. Do you have to skid the cursor all around the screen finding waypoints for side trips? What's the scoop?
Yes, you can add waypoints, but it's not very user-friendly and they can't be saved.

Welcome to the world of the on-board Navi option :)

You can still add your 376 for the more sophisticated routing...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon,

I am going to pick up my new '06 tomorrow and I was quite certain that I was going to still be usins my 376

·
Registered
366 Posts
Jan,
With the built in GPS on the Goldwing, how do you create a route?
PAINFULLY...!

As Jon said, it's tedious, slow and cannot be done on the computer. Works fine for A to DQ. And to make the process even more difficult, the GPS controls, except those on the left handlebar, are locked out if the bike is moving -- as in moving at a snail's pace or faster...!

If you're a serious GPS user -- and with a 376C I assume you are -- you will use the onboard only for simple routes. Even adding VIAs are a PITA...!

BTW, the 376C seems to suffer from serious lens scratches. There is a company called SHIELD ZONE www.shieldzone.com that makes a 0.008" thick membrane overlay for the 276/376 series. You might want to add one to your 376...!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chuck

Thanks for the idea on the lens cover. I like that and will get one. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts