GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a serious question that I have for all of you highly informed types. Please only answer if you have done this before and know the routine. :D

I have Fred's tapes but it only shows how to remove the dash panel for the wings up to 2005. How do you get the one off on the 2006 Comfort/nav/audio bikes? I hate to just go ripping and shredding on this bike.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Haven't done it yet, but will be soon. I also have Fred's DVD's and also the Honda Maintenance manual. Verbatim from the manual:

Remove the ignition cover.

Carefully release the two tabs (A)
{{top of fork opening right and left}} on the meter panel off of the top shelter.
Raise the rear portion of the meter panel and release the two bosses (B) from the grommets {{just below the ignition switch on left and right}}.
Release the tabs around the speaker grilles.

Disconnect the tweeter speaker connectors (except on CM model) and multi-displayl control switch connector to remove the meter panel.

Reinstall in reverse order.

Hope this helps!

Bradford

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Marc,

I have taken off my dash numerous times on my '06 and it is very simple.

First, you really don't have to remove the ignition cover (the dark piece around the ignition switch). If you pull up gently on the dash behind the ignition switch, it will pop up. It's held in place by grommets similar to what holds the side panels on. In the next two pictures, I'm doing this with one hand. NOTE: IF this is the first time you're taking off your dash, it will be very tight trying to get the dash off around the ignition. It will come off, it just might take some extra muscle. Mine comes off easy because I have taken it off so many times.

Next, start popping loose the rest of the dash around the speakers. It just snaps in. Again, this is with one hand.

The tweeter wires are a little tricky. First remove the rubber seal around each tweeter. They just pull off and slide back along the tweeter wire.

To disconnect the wires from the tweeter, on the left speaker, at the 3 o'clock position, press in on the snap latch (I don't know what else to call it) and on the right speaker, it's at the 9 o'clock position.

UPDATE: Here is an additional video I made to help you with the tweeter wire disconnect:

The next part is tricky. There is a large wire coupler just in front of the ignition switch under the dash. This is also a snap latch. You will need a flat head stubby screwdriver to lift up on the latch. A good bright light will help you find your way around under there. It's best to do this latch last (after you remove the tweeter wires) to give yourself extra room to remove that coupler. Here's a video to show you how to disconnect the wire:

Once that is released, the dash comes right off. Reassemble in the reverse order.

Questions?...PM me.

Bartman

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Bartman!!!!!

You've got skills and abilities far beyond that of mortal man.

The pics an tutorial are great. Thanks.

Bradford

·
Registered
33 Posts
While you have the Dash panel off you can do as I did for a customized look. Go to you nearest O'Reilly's parts store and they can shoot you paint with their gun and mix paint to match your bike. They will then put it in a spray can. Paint your dash panel to match the rest of the bike. I clear coated mine for more protection after the paint. Looks great and is easier to keep cleen as it takes away some of the roughness of the plastic.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It was my understanding that the comfort package added two screws under the key garnish. Is this true?

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2,000 miles

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Good Question Ed. Not sure. Mine is just the audio package.

Lomax, I didn't realize you had the NAV/Comfort package. You have several extra dials on the dash for the seat heater and hand warmer. There are probably more connections under the dash for those switches. Just take you time. The dash should still come off the same way, you'll just have a couple more wires to disconnect.

Good Luck...

Bartman

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to you all it was an easy job to get the dash panel off. It was exactly as 24 Carat and Bartman said. And NO you do not need to take the two screws out by the ignition switch for the dash panel. You will need to take them out to get the top shelter off however. Now if I could just figure out where that dang right audio filter goes :lol:

Thanks again everyone.

Marc

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ed Jenkins said:
It was my understanding that the comfort package added two screws under the key garnish. Is this true?

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2,000 miles
Ed, even the base 2006 model has those two screws. On the base, they only hold the ignition switch in place.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Excellent pics, Bartman...

Just did this procedure myself, installing a Road Trip Essentials color matched meter panel assembly on my 06 comfort/audio. I found pulling up on the bottom of the panel to be fruitless. The thing wouldn't budge. Worked far better to pull OUT on the upper portion by the display screen. The grommets popped right out, then the bottom ones came easily.

The tweets unplug exactly as desribed.

Unplugging the controller wasn't hard, once I got a look in there with a drop light to see how it goes together. The spring clip is on the top. You just need to depress it while gently tugging on the plug. No tools necessary. :wink: :D

Then all I had to do was remove the tweets and speaker grills from the old unit, along with the seat and grip heat controller and install in the new unit with a little lithium grease on the grommets. Piece o' cake. :D

http://www.roadtripessentials.com/

·
Registered
195 Posts
Man I love the education I just recieved from this post. I will go home this morning and give it a try myslef. You guys are the best.

Ride safe

Joe

·
Registered
62 Posts
WOW! I was directed here by someone on Steve Saunder's Goldwing site, www.goldwingfacts.com. They have entire service manual on that site, but only to '05; lots of changes in '06 &'07.
After trying to remove speaker covers - a la '05 - without results, I found Bartman's photos. BIG HELP!! THANKS SO MUCH! My '06 with navi/comfort package was a piece of cake. For the record, I discovered the secret to installling risers, and removing handlebar cover. There are 4 bolts -smallish 8 mm head with large washer - surrounding dash. Remove these, and the entire dash lifts up (extra hand is helpful), allowing access to handlebar cover screws. For short-armed riders, risers add a lot to control and comfort.

Now, does anyone have the secret to access of high beams on comfort package? Removing fairing pockets does nothing, as vent lever for foot heat control ( and NUMEROUS wiring plugs - block all access from there.

Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
dash removal

The right audio filter goes into a plug in the rubber boot that is beside the air louver tunnel. there is a bunch of plugs in the boot.Every thing is jamed pretty tight in the boot mine was the last one i pulled out. I just put a cb in mine today. I didnt take the fuel tank cover off I could lift it enough to hook every thing up. I dont know how to get it all off without a service manual I will have to find out to change air filter next time.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Excellent tips, thanks! I was having problems with the tweeter plugs, I had to really press HARD at the very tip of the plug to get the plug to release.

Thank you so much!

Next step is to remove the shelter... I have some cords I need to disconnect... I'd better buy the manual for next time...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Shop Manual

Buy Fred Harmon's videos, they are excellent, he has added 2 more to cover the changes on the 06 and 07 wings. He gets very detailed about how things go together and come apart and he has already made a lot of the mistakes we will when we try. These videos are much clearer than the shop manual. I have both and I just take my laptop with Fred's DVDs down to the garage with me when I am going to do something on my 06.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts