GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got an 06 (triked in 09), an 09 and a 12, I can't tell any difference. The 06 has 33,000 miles, the 09 about 13,000 and the 12 less than a 1,000.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a 2001 and now have a 2012. The shifting to me seem pretty much the same in all gears. I now have 4500 miles on the 2012.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think it's pretty much the same as my '08 but seem to shift just a little better, to me it's more of a click than a clunk!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Shifts the same .... even 4th to 5th ..... and once in 5th, I still have the same urge to shift again but as we all know, I am out of gears at that point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i am running synthetic in mine and have compared it to my dads. they seem to shift the same. altho i had a kawasaki that when you shifted it, you thought that you were going to loose the trans everytime.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Per my local dealership (the owner has been taking home the demo 2012), the shifting is exactly the same, but the bike cruises even more smoothly at 70 on the Interstate than earlier models. It may be merely the new (compound) Bridgestones vs. the old OEM D-250's as I have suggested, but the owner sincerely believes there exists a "fit and finish" difference in the engine components in addition to the bodywork. :shrug:

And yes, he IS attempting to get me to trade-in my 2005 Anniversary on a delicious-looking white/silver/black 2012!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had a 2002 gl1800 then a 2003 gl1800 now a 2012 gl1800 all shift the same,I had over 200,000 on the 2003 and it shift's the same as the 2012 w/4000 on it. I make sure each shift is solid and in gear before moving on to the next gear, I'm a old dirt biker and you never wanted to miss a gear on the trails that can hurt.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Test road a pretty blue one today. Shifted almost as bad as my 2008. These have to be the worst shifting motorcycles currently manufactured. Very, very sad for Honda.
Could it be possible that the mechanism connecting the handlebars to the seat and the shifter is malfunctioning?

Really .... I've been riding for over 40 yrs and have ridden a lot of different bikes ... I don't understand how you could make such a statement unless my first paragraph applys.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Shifts the same .... even 4th to 5th ..... and once in 5th, I still have the same urge to shift again but as we all know, I am out of gears at that point.
ya, I get that urge too ... but it's not exclusive to the GW.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Bought my first Wing in Sept 2009. For about 10 years prior to that I was riding various Kawasaki models. It took me about a month of riding the Wing before I figured out that it did not like the way I was shifting.

Hopefully, I can say this where it makes sense. On the Kawasaki models, shifting was a "count of 1-2" (clutch-shift). Seems like the Wing wants to have a pause between the clutch and shift.

In other words, instead of "clutch-shift", it is "clutch..and..shift". The Wing shifts smooth as silk as long as I give it what it wants.

·
Vendor
22,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after putting over 1K miles on the 2012, I think I can honestly say it shifts better than my 2009 did.

It still clunks into gear, but unlike the 2009, I have never hit a false nuetral between 1 and 2 like I did on the 09 when it was new, and when I shift from 4th to 5th, I never get the "double engagement" feel like I did many times on the 09. The 2012 just seems to shift a bit more crisp and positive than the 09 did, and the 4>5 shift is definitely better.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Well, after putting over 1K miles on the 2012, I think I can honestly say it shifts better than my 2009 did...
Fred, how about an "overall" post.

You've posted some really good changes and a few that would, for me, almost be a deal breaker (high speed control).

Overall, would you rate the 2012 an improvement?
.. or should us poor folk wait a little longer..

Dennis

·
Vendor
22,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fred, how about an "overall" post.

You've posted some really good changes and a few that would, for me, almost be a deal breaker (high speed control).

Overall, would you rate the 2012 an improvement?
.. or should us poor folk wait a little longer..

Dennis
I don't think I'd let the high speed issue stop me from getting one, simply because it was a one time event that happened to one bike under one circumstance. It impossible at this point to say if this is a problematic issue with the 2012, or was simply caused by a specific set of circumstances I encountered. While it is worrisome, Unless you hear other folks with 2012 bikes complain about it, I guess I wouldn't put too much weight on a single event just yet.

There are some things I like about the 2012 and some things I don't. I have now reworked the tail lights so I'm happy with the light they put out, but I'm a bit annoyed that I had to take apart a brand new bike and rewire it. I'm still not sold on the wider look and footprint of it, both from an Aero standpoint and in terms of overall looks. The added GPS functions and Ipod capability are great additions, and I really like them. Those two items alone almost make up for the items I don't care for. But I also still wish Honda would display my tire pressure sensor on the dash. I'm not sure why they didn't add this feature.

The two-tone look is growing on me, and the blacked out sections and painted instead of chromed items don't really bother me much, but everyone will have their own opinion about that. The bike does seem to handle and ride a little better, but I'll still be converting it to Traxxion, as I still don't think it holds a candle to a full Monty Traxxion bike. As I said before, the transmission on mine seems to shift better than the one on my 09 did, but I can't say if this is true for all 2012's or not, and I don't know if Honda made any significant changes that would cause this or not. The seat is mildly improved, but again, I won't say it's a huge change. The overall fit and finish seems to be about the same as my 2009 was, and I can't say that I see any real change in overall quality. The engine feels like it has a little more power, but it's hard to say for sure since I'm comparing a brand new engine that is crisp to one that had over 30K miles on it. I'm not crazy about the radio control locations or the new glove box or the loss of my CD changer compartment to my radio, since that is where my air compressor and tire plugging tools used to go. Now I have to find a new place to store them.

So at this point, I'd guess I'd say it is a toss up. If I could definitively say that the transmission on all 2012's is better than the previous models, then I think that might tip the scales in favor of the 2012, but I'd need to hear a bigger sampling of reports than just one before I'd make that statement.

So in the end, I think it just comes down to your own personal preferences for whether you like it enough to trade or not, and only you can make that decision.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts