GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say we have three identical Goldwings. They are all starting a 100 mile trip from the same location and going to the same destination. All physical conditions are exactly the same for all 3 bikes. (road conditions, wind, load, engine performance, acceleration, etc.) Now...

The first bike will travel at 25 mph till it reaches the destination.
The second bike will travel at 55 mph till it reaches the destination.
The third bike will travel at 85 mph till it reaches the destination.

Will all 3 bikes get the same gas mileage?
:?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Warning....thread hijack.

Hi Floyd!

Ok...back on track.

I guess that would depend on engine rpm to a degree (gear operated in).

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
ANSWER-On a Border to border ride I rode between 75 and 95 my mileage went down to 26mpg.

I usually get 40mpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
The lowest rpm over the 100 miles will get the best mileage.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
My experience is similar to laen's. Goes from about 40mpg at 55 to 25mpg at 75mph. I get a similar percentage decline for the different speeds when pulling the trailer.

The RPM's are directly linked to the speed (in the same gear). The mileage will depend on how far the throttle has to be open to maintain the speed. At a greater speed with greater wind resistance, the throttle will have to be open further, thus comsuming more gas, to maintain the same speed. Relatively speaking. That's why to go faster, you have to twist the throttle further. More throttle, less MPG.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We'll never know. The second bike ran into the first bike as the third bike ran into it. Since the route was exactly the same they couldn't move to avoid the accident. :lol:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hardway said:
The lowest rpm over the 100 miles will get the best mileage.
That explains my crappy gas mileage!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The reason I asked is because I was on "empty" yesterday and knew how far I had to go to a gas station.... and was wondering if I was going to make it. Kind of knowing that if I went slower I would get better gas mileage, I entertained the thought of going really fast, then if I ran out of gas, I could coast farther. :lol: :lol:

I knew I could get a good technical answer here. THANKS!!

Oh yea.... Hello Lewis! :lol: :lol:
8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If you stay home, you wont burn any gas.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I ride sane, which is almost Never .. I get 39+ MPG
The normal is 28 to 32 MPG at speeds of 85 to 90 on my way to work....

I actually got 42 MPG when I first got my Yellow Goldwing, That was from the slow 45 to 55 MPH rides through the countryside getting used to the Machine and enjoying the ride.
8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I stretched the fuel this weekend by running at lower rpms in 5th gear. We made a 190 mile round trip lunch ride Saturday. (I took the VTX since it was jealous of the Wing. I had ridden the Wing the last two times out.) Filled up the VTX and ran down south 90 miles for a cheesburger with my cousin on his gl1500. After lunch we headed back. I have become accustomed to watching the Wing gas gauge and knowing I have a lot more range on a full Wing gas tank... no guage on the VTX1800C with the 4.5 gallon tank. So coming back listening to music and just cruising I completely forgot about gas. I hate it when that happens. About 30 to 40 miles to the nearest gas station, I looked down at the instrument panel on the VTX and the gas reserve light was bright yellow. Doh. I didn't know when it came on and I was running almost 80 on the interstate. My cousin and I took an exit in 12 miles and took a two lane where I could safely run at 50 mph in 5th gear and not lug the engine. Stretched the gas and made it to the gas station with fuel to spare. Put 3.9 gallons in the tank, had little over half a gallon when I reached the gas station. No problem, low rpms can be your friend.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
First, if all the bikes were equal, all got the same mileage at the same speed, Then the bike going 25 MPH would win the MPG test...

Every bike is different, Each are equipped with sensors that are built within a region of specs. So my O2 sensors will read a bit different than yours, all the injectors are a bit different by a few atoms of metal. So all in all, Every bike with have its own MPG per MPH .

Every time you double the speed, you increase the drag by four times. So if the drag is 100 pounds at 25 MPH, then it will increase to 400 pounds at 50 MPH. Takes more fuel to make more work !! These numbers are based on a constant pressure altitude and tempature.

JMHO 8)
Left this out, Red gets better mileage !! :lol:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I get 38mpg if I keep the RPMs around 3k, I can creep up tp 42 if Im going around 40-45 mph. I wish i could get 300 miles to a tank.

BTW in the DC area my speed very rarely goes below 70 mph, on a typical commute I am going around 80-85mph and thats gps mph's not Honda. People are crazy around here gotta stay away from them. HOV baby!!!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
So, IMHO....getting 30mpg on average is more fun !!! Excellent logic ! :wink:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
In my experience, in general touring...3000 rpm (70 mph indicated) seems to be my magic number. If I keep it below the 3 grand mark, my milage is better...venture above 3 grand and the milage decreases considerably.

If I keep it a steady 55 on country roads, two up, my milage will be a consistant 40-42 mpg. That's just me.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Well, I always get more mpg when I ride with the GWRRA group... so what does that tell you? :twisted:

And, the best my Chry. Town & Country minivan every got was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hardway said:
I stretched the fuel this weekend by running at lower rpms in 5th gear. We made a 190 mile round trip lunch ride Saturday.station. .
Here are some things for you to consider. My GL1800 holds 6.9 gallons of gas when it's completely empty. If I ride 55 mph over a relatively flat course with little wind, my GL1800 will get 46 GPS miles per gallon. Those figures give my GL1800 a maximum attainable fuel range of 317 miles per tank of fuel.

I don't know if your bike can do the same things as mine but it may be in your best interest to find out. Someday you may need to know.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Dam, I put 6.6 gallons in after 185 miles, (comin out of colorado into green river, utah a while back) guess I better slow down. :lol: Tim

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I don't check it on the Goldwing, but I've had two other motorcycles with MPG readouts (including the FJR I have now). Cruising 10 mph slower seems to make about a 5mpg difference on the highway. Yes, at those speeds it is very significant.

BTW, on my wifes Tahoe, the difference between cruising at 75 vs 65 is about 18 mpg versus 21.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Leon Kowalski said:
Soloquest said:
Will all 3 bikes get the same gas mileage?

Yes, but only if the road is in a perfect vacuum ....

...not recommended with a 3/4 helmet,

LK

But Leon, it's moving the same amount of weight, the same distance, but in less time. So that means the faster ones are doing more work. They gotta use more gas to account for the additional energy required to do more work. :wink:
But wait, you said vacuum! Oh well, won't be using any gas. No air to burn. :oops:
My head hurts. Lack of oxygen probably. Guess the bottom line about running outta gas is....
Eat well, sleep well, keep your energy up so you can perform all that "work" when you have to push that pig to the next station. :lol:
Train the SO well so they can push you fast enough that you don't have to put your feet down to maintain balance while steering. :lol:
DC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts