GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let say I got on the expressway. Straight road, no traffiic, no lights, no cops. How fast can this bike go.

No doubt its quick. How fast will it go. I'll never go there thats for certain.

Took my car out one night a few years back. Had a buddy go first 5 miles ahead then I went then another buddy behind me. Lexus SC400 got it to 172 and it was actually pretty smooth. Could have gone a bit faster but I chickened out. Had it there for 1 second.

I've seen sport bikes at 160. Video anyway.What is the wing capable of. My Volusia would do 90 and all she had.

Just wondering?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's power starts to top out after 120. I've got mine up to 121 indicated on GPS. Some folks say they've gotten theirs up to 130-140+

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mine has been up to 123 MPH as indicated on the GPS. Forget what the speedo tells you, as they come from the factory out of calibration and read high, by about 4%.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
There are no ideal conditions on a public highway to check but on a stretch of highway not far from my house, early in the AM, no crossrosds for almost two miles I tried mine out one time. I was at 125 on the speedo and I quit before the wing was ready. That was the only time I ever tried it and I will not do it again.

I did the same thing in the same place on my 1200 and got the same results. The 1200 did not get there near as quick though.

It (the 1200) felt like it was done. The 1800 felt like it still had more to go. How much I am not sure. It just felt strong. I suppose with the limiters on it that it just quits when it hits top end :?:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
my wing goes just as fast as I want it to :D :D :D :cop2:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine will do 75 without a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Warp speed

Well guys, because I switched the horizontal 6 for a blown viper motor, I guess I can do a million miles an hour. My bike is Black and for all you other guys who have money coming out your ears, mine reached warp speed which we all know is only accomplished with BLACK. It’s all the dam scratches that allow for the proper slip stream!

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Wing seems to go as fast as I need it to. I have had it up to 125 indicated on the speedo which as Bulldog already mentioned isn't correct. As always once I get over 100 the riding becomes different. It's more like flying and reading the road becomes the most important thing to do. Obstacles are the #1 enemy of course. Around the area where I live animals have no consideration for the motorcyclist so this must be factored into the challenge, not to mention complacent cagers. Here is a neat pic some of you have already seen, I do not know who took the shot or where or when but I liked it so I have kept it.
I can't wait to get the bike out. 8)

·
Registered
287 Posts
My baby will do 70mph on a motorway without any problem which is the legal speed limit in our country. :a13:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
287 Posts
SpeedWagon said:
My Wing seems to go as fast as I need it to. I have had it up to 125 indicated on the speedo which as Bulldog already mentioned isn't correct. As always once I get over 100 the riding becomes different. It's more like flying and reading the road becomes the most important thing to do. Obstacles are the #1 enemy of course. Around the area where I live animals have no consideration for the motorcyclist so this must be factored into the challenge, not to mention complacent cagers. Here is a neat pic some of you have already seen, I do not know who took the shot or where or when but I liked it so I have kept it.
I can't wait to get the bike out. 8)
And this guy had the cruise set at this speed. Aheeem.!!!!!!! :cop2:

:cop2: :rw1: :cop2:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I can always get 7MPH (12 mph on our speedo's) higher
then the posted speed limit. :p

After that, and it can cost you :cop2: too much.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
And this guy had the cruise set at this speed. Aheeem.!!!!!!!
I thought the cruise control worked up to 100, then you had to take your hands out of you pockets again.
Oh-well, that's what I get for thinking. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
picture of the road and speedometor

that picture if my memory serves me was taken by a german rider when he was here for a summer tour. His name escapes me he was soundly chaseined by the board at that time.
roger/orangestreak

1 - 20 of 25 Posts